Price Match EDU/GOV Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pellets007, Dec 6, 2013.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Does anyone know of any site online that price matched Apple's student or military discount? I was just going to go through Apple, but $140 in taxes on at $2400 machine...

Looking for the higher end rMBP for $2400.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm unaware of any place that would - In all likelihood they would lose money, i.e., they paid apple a set amount for those Macs.

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I guess it ends up being a trade-off. You can get the discount from Apple, but you'll end up paying sales tax. Some online vendors will be tax free and offer free shipping, so even though you pay full price for your MBP, it may end up being a better deal on the bottom line.

4. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

5. MiesVanDerRobot macrumors member

I've had local 3rd-party Apple vendors offer education pricing, but never found an online source for it other than Apple.

Money saved is money saved, though. Depending on your local sales tax rate, you are probably saving more than the sales tax on the non-education price would have been.

If you really want a deal, buy used.

6. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Yeah, thank you for the advice everyone. Can't have a vehicle at my location, but I ended up ordering off Amazon for like $50 above education pricing. Not a bad deal. Thank you guys! :D

7. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Doubt any 3rd party seller would. Apple can afford to offer good discounted rates as it has good margins on its macs. Resellers often have to pay a high price for Apples devices and have slim margins as it stands.

8. MSFT macrumors member

Yikes, Cadet! A $2400 MBP? LT's don't need that much computing power for making Powerpoints! :D I speak from experience!

Doesn't the West Point PX sell Apple products? I've found good deals there on occasion. No sales tax.