Price not an issue: White or Black Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyr0sphere, Nov 20, 2007.

1. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

If price wasn't an issue, would you get a White or Black Macbook

Obviously, the Black one has a larger harddrive as well, but I'm not too worried about that. All I care about is the colour

Pros for White:
    White = Apple
    More easy to recognize when people see "Oh wow you have a white laptop, must be Apple"

Cons for White:
    Glossy case by nature seems more prone to show fingerprints and scratches etc

Pros for Black:
    Matte design should hide fingerprints and scratches more than the White one
    Looks super cool on the outside. Inside not as cool

Cons for Black:
    Black laptop would lead some to believe it's just one of those "other" laptops
    Accessories are all white, therefore nothing matches. Not that big a deal though

So basically, this is a poll:
    White or Black?

2. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Who cares what other people think. Go for black, get a bigger HD and a superdrive, and enjoy it being scratch-free.

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

My dad has a Blackbook...and yes it shows finger prints, probably easier than the white one.

4. David G. macrumors 65816

Wrong. I just went to the Alaska MacStore (it's the best thing we have up here., come on :apple:) today to figure out which of the two high end MacBooks I going to buy and I have finally made up my mind. White. Why? The only reason for my choice is the fact that the black makes smudges show WAY more. Get the white. Period. End of story. Bye-Bye. See you later.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The only problem is that the white gets dirtier a lot faster. Nothing looks worse than a grimy MacBook. It's really is hard to keep clean unless you're a perfectionist.

The BlackBook may smudge more but it will hide dirt a lot easier.

6. David G. macrumors 65816

I just knew someone would come out and say that. OP, if your worried about the white getting dirty over the course of a long while, get a MacBook palmrest skin. I think BestSkinsEver and/or Invisible Shield makes them. And if price is no object then it really shouldn't matter. Better to have one thing that is forgiving in the amount of time it needs for you to add something to keep it clean than to have to continously rub the other with cloth to keep it clean.

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I wanted a Blackbook when I bought my MacBook, but couldn't afford the step up in price, and therefore went with the white. Though now I think I like the White one better.

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Get black: the white one will soon look out of date...:(

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Since price isn't an issue I am gonna go out on a limb and say: MBP.

It's basically the same size and weight (I doubt you will ever notice the 11 grams difference) when handling it (not viewing or looking at it) and has so much more build quality in it than the macbook, black or white.

10. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Another thing to consider: It's easy to clean dirt of of a white and to keep it looking clean, but the smudges and fingerprints on the black will always be there. Another annoying thing about the black is the keyboard shows a lot of the oil and grease from your fingers and can get annoying. This is very apparent with the space bar as half of it becomes greasy depending on which finger you use to type. The touchpad also attracts lots of grease. I personally went with white.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i disagree about the build quality. i would prefer a mbp but i do think the mb s better built

this coming from me who has a blackbook, my bro a white mb, and dad a mbp. i have had a chance to use them all. i like the black hence why i got it

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

This is just nonsense about the white MacBook getting dirty 'over time'. Not unless you actually lift dirt from the ground and put it on top of it.

We've had two white MacBooks in the family since they were introduced and neither of them have got dirty. Sure, the glossy plastic attracts finger prints, but these are less apparent than on the black model and takes seconds to wipe off.

As for the build quality being better with the MBP, again this is just complete rubbish. The MacBooks are built very well and they are much more durable than the MBPs.

I would say go for the white one.

David

13. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

i was having this exact same dilemma.i think i will buy the white one around macworld time. I need 3 USB ports

14. T-Mac macrumors member

Let me just say that the white Macbook is absolutely stunning to look at! The glossy finish reminds me of a super classy stretch limousine.

Mine is new so I don't know how it will look 2 years from now, but I tend to baby my high-end gear so I expect it will hold up quite well.

15. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

I got the black cuz it looks cooler.

But it does attract fingerprints quickly...

Got this app that allows me to clean the keyboard without the keys actually triggering something... and I am deadly with a micro fiber cloth now and have become a ****ing pro at wiping the **** down lol..

That being said it is a magnet for oil and fingerprints... so is the white one but the black shows up more. Still.. i think when we're talking ashetics.. the black is wayyy sexier. Also... this might seem weird.. but the more oil your BlackBook absorbs the less apparent the fingerprints... like. when i first got it anything would show up... but now that it's gotten used to the oil and i guess absorbed it somehow.. fingerprints are no where near as common.

But when it comes down to it you'll be happy no matter what you get... Keep in mind that even if the black and white one both have 160gb hard drive you're paying an extra 125 just for the color and the same specs..

16. eman macrumors 6502a

The black macbooks show finger prints very easy. My white macbooks stay very clean and also show finger prints (not as bad as black). Save yourself some money and buy the white macbook and install your own 2.5" SATA hard drive. But then again this is about money not being an issue.

If you want to spend extra money, buy a silicone keyboard cover to keep the liquid spills out. A new logic board is $800 from Apple, if you spill liquid on the keyboard.

17. chrishch macrumors member

Definitely get the high-end white Macbook. I have a black Macbook and I got "fingers print" (four stripes as in four fingers, excluding the thumb) on three of the four edges. They get on the Macbook when I grab one of the sides. I would need to clean it all the time, but I just got tired of it.

With the shiny white surface, this should not be as visible. I guess maybe I should wash my hands before touching my Macbook, but then, that's not always possible.

18. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I would tend to say that the Blackbook is a fingerprint magnet- more than the white one.

But if cost was not an issue- I would purchase a Blackbook.