Price of a software....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chameleon81, Dec 12, 2008.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi

I' ve been using some great ( in my opinion ) softwares as demos. Now I consider to buy some of them but they are too expensive. I mean they wont put me in a financial crisis but i think they are over priced. I know I have the option not to buy them :).

IF here are some developers could you explain why this softwares might be so expensive?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Leap looks alot like Finder in leopard has mirrored its purpose. Conceptdraw Mindmap might still be free off lifehacker... browse lifehacker and search for brainstorm or mindmap and you'll find more stuff.

Software is expensive because people need to eat.

3. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. I know people have to make money but Leopard is 140 dollars itself.

4. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

...of which $0 goes to the developers of the software you want.

Most of the time there is a cheap near alternative to most things you want; you either pony up for what you like or make a compromise. Do you REALLY need the software you have listed? Or do you just want it. Unless its bringing you in $, then you don't really need it. If it is bringing you $, then you can afford to pay for them.

5. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bla bla I know a developer doesn' t get a penny from leopard. I just wanted to compare the complexity of both software and the price gap btw them.

And I disaggree with your need analysis.

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

Funny enough most of the software I use is either open source or free to use. Great example, I use SMC Fan Control 2. Its totally free and works great on both my Macbook and Mac Mini. I did donate money because it good software that has really helped both my macs.

I'm more inclined to donate to developers who let anyone download their software than actually buying software. Two reasons. 1st I can use it a while and see if I need it and 2nd, if there are updates or major version changes, I can get them for free, where as with software you pay, you will more than likely get a discount, but you still have to pay to have the latest version.

Just my two cents!!!

-iGrant

7. rainydays macrumors 6502a

As previously said, developers need to eat too :)

Setting a price on software can be difficult since it basically costs nothing to reproduce and distribute it. It depends very much on the target market and the competitors pricing.

I know for example a certain audio plugin company who tried to sell their products with a low price, but it didn't work since professionals and semi-pros wouldn't take them seriously (yeah, it's stupid I know). So they set a higher price and now the sales are doing well.

Also if you set a lower price and sell more copies because of that, the costs for support will most likely go up. So it might be less profitable for the company in the end.

Anyhow, there are, as said, usually cheaper or even free alternatives. Sometimes those alternatives are actually better depending on your needs.

Also, if it's a small company which you buy the software directly from, you can sometimes bargain with them. I've done so a couple of times when I was short on money and really needed the software.