Price of fixing a case crack?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nuks, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

2 quick questions:

My family's macbook has the case cracked right long the edge of the left palm rest. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    It's still attached underneath my fingers, but I've pulled it out so you can see the crack better.

I'm sure this has happened to some of you before, so how much will it cost to fix it if we don't have Applecare, and there are no Apple stores nearby?

My macbook also has this crack, but it is still attached at either end (you can pull it up a little from the middle), and so it isn't yet a problem like our family's is. I have Applecare, so it should be a free fix, but how "bad" does it need to get before I can send it to get fixed? Would they accept it with the tiny crack it has now, or do I need to wait until it comes right off?

Thanks.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

3. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

It has been well documented in this forum that Apple will fix this problem for free even if your Macbook is out of warranty.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Never seen one cracked there before !

They normally crack along the front edge where the lips on the top of the screen make contact.

Your crack is in the area of the sleep switch which is unusual. Saying that Apple do normally replace free of charge cracked topcases (not that there is a problem......).

Have you tried taking to an AppleStore for their comments ?

5. macrack macrumors newbie

i use a white Moshi palm rest protector in hopes of preventing this. Hopefully this doesn't happen to mine like it has many others. It seems to always be where the top lid tabs make contact.... Left or right. I also try to hold it from the hinged side when holding it like a book. It's less pressure on those tabbed areas.
    Just so food for thought.

6. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Gorilla Glue works well on plastic...

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I wouldn't be gluing my Macbook. Take it back to Apple, and have them repair it.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Not recommended, Gorilla Glue tends to expand which isn't the best option for something visible like that. IMO its not worth the +$200 you'd pay to fix it, your best option is to find some non-expanding glue designed for plastic surfaces.

9. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

If apple won't cover the topcase (but if its an earlier gen macbook, odds are that they just might, even though you are out of applecare), it's a simple replacement if you want to try it yourself. You can pick up one for about $75 on ebay, and there are some good step-by-step instructions at ifixit.com; it's simply a matter of removing the battery, ram cover, and about a dozen various screws. I replaced mine just for the hell of it once (black MB, white topcase), and it was pretty easy.

10. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

As I said before, this problem already has a thread and a solution.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=456052

Apple is aware of this problem and has been fixing it for free. Even on Macbooks out of warranty. Do not use gorilla glue, do not take it to a third party. If you can go to an Apple store, go. If you can not, call Apple and ask about sending it in.

11. NewYouSir macrumors newbie

I just picked up my Macbook 2.2 SR from the Apple store. I had my top case replaced which was still under warranty and they gave me a receipt showing the part(top case) and labor which amounted to $202.19. Hope this helps.