Price of fixing an rMBP

90miles

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Hey guys,

I haven't come in here for a long time due to my workload been awfully exhaustive and cutting my off time considerably, anyways, I've been working in Brazil for the past year and now I have a problem with my rMBP, the screen has a huge crack and the logic board has some problems as well (ie: hdmi won't work, thunderbolt won't work, hiccups with usb, etc). I took it to a certified repair shop and the price for the fix was at about 1500 dollars. I'm flying back to the USA on the next sunday and I would like to know if any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to fix it there,

Cheers :apple:!

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Screen and logic board replacements are both very costly procedures simply due to the cost of the spare parts, so you're probably looking at a similar bill in the U.S as well. You may be able to get it done a bit cheaper if you go to a third party service shop that uses salvage parts, but replacing both the screen and logic board is going to cost you quite a lot regardless as they're the #1 and #2 most expensive parts in the machine.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I haven't come in here for a long time due to my workload been awfully exhaustive and cutting my off time considerably, anyways, I've been working in Brazil for the past year and now I have a problem with my rMBP, the screen has a huge crack and the logic board has some problems as well (ie: hdmi won't work, thunderbolt won't work, hiccups with usb, etc). I took it to a certified repair shop and the price for the fix was at about 1500 dollars. I'm flying back to the USA on the next sunday and I would like to know if any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to fix it there,

I agree with the previous post about the cost. with that price ($1500) for repair, I think IMHO, you'd be better off in getting replacement laptop (new or refurb).

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Hey guys,

There is someone in the US who can change those screens...

http://www.computerrepairmaster.com...-pro-retina-13-a1425a1502-screen-only-repair/

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
With your issues, repairing the laptop would basically mean completely switching it out for a new one. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a new laptop were actually cheaper than the repair — no need to cover the labour.

I'd probably choose to sell it for parts and get a new one.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
With your issues, repairing the laptop would basically mean completely switching it out for a new one. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a new laptop were actually cheaper than the repair — no need to cover the labour.

I'd probably choose to sell it for parts and get a new one.
Just replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.