Price of fixing an rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 90miles, Jan 4, 2015.

1. 90miles macrumors member

Hey guys,

I haven't come in here for a long time due to my workload been awfully exhaustive and cutting my off time considerably, anyways, I've been working in Brazil for the past year and now I have a problem with my rMBP, the screen has a huge crack and the logic board has some problems as well (ie: hdmi won't work, thunderbolt won't work, hiccups with usb, etc). I took it to a certified repair shop and the price for the fix was at about 1500 dollars. I'm flying back to the USA on the next sunday and I would like to know if any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to fix it there,

Cheers :apple:!

2. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Screen and logic board replacements are both very costly procedures simply due to the cost of the spare parts, so you're probably looking at a similar bill in the U.S as well. You may be able to get it done a bit cheaper if you go to a third party service shop that uses salvage parts, but replacing both the screen and logic board is going to cost you quite a lot regardless as they're the #1 and #2 most expensive parts in the machine.

3. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I agree with the previous post about the cost. with that price ($1500) for repair, I think IMHO, you'd be better off in getting replacement laptop (new or refurb).

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

There is someone in the US who can change those screens...

http://www.computerrepairmaster.com...-pro-retina-13-a1425a1502-screen-only-repair/

5. leman macrumors 604

With your issues, repairing the laptop would basically mean completely switching it out for a new one. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a new laptop were actually cheaper than the repair — no need to cover the labour.

I'd probably choose to sell it for parts and get a new one.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just replace it.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel