Price of iMac repairs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bill McEnaney, May 7, 2010.

1. Bill McEnaney macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine would buy a PC instead of an iMac partly because he thinks iMac repairs would be pricier than PC repairs. Are those repairs expensive? Thanks.

Bill

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes because in many cases, the whole logic board has to be replaced. You can get AppleCare for 179$ which will cover your iMac for 3 years

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Depends on if he buys AppleCare for his iMac. Unless he drops the computer, shatters the screen, or exposes it to liquid, all repairs will be covered by the $169 (US) for 3 years.

4. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Hellhammer. Can I renew AppleCare if I need to keep the machine longer than three years? My computers need to be electronic Energizer Bunnies because I can hardly ever replace them.

5. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

As far as I know, the Apple Care can't be extended or renewed.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

No, AppleCare cannot be extended past the 3 years. Fortunately, there are people with fully functional iBooks, PowerBooks, lampshade iMac G4s and BondiBlue iMac G3s, PowerMac G4s and G5s, who can attest to Apple's build quality and longevity. And for the 3 years you have unlimited telephone support, and free repairs (on components free of accidental damage). Another selling point of AppleCare is eligibility for onsite service on desktop computers, if it's been isolated to specific components by tech support, and you're within 50 miles of a service provider or Apple retail location. Onsite is only available to US purchasers though...

7. Bill McEnaney thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds great. SquareTrade.com just quoted me its price, $134.99, for a three-year warranty on a $1,188 new computer. But I don't know whether that price includes on-site service.

I know of 20-year-old Sun machines that still run well. So I expect my SunBlade 100 to be working 10 years from now. I just won't use it much, if at all, then.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

AppleCare will cover 3 years from date of purchase.

It cannot be extended.

As for how long the iMac will last, it's anybody's guess. FWIW, I have a PowerMac 933 that I use daily that still works after 9 plus years.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You are automatically covered for 1 year when you buy the Mac. Applecare gives you 2 additional years for a total of three that you are covered.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, 3 years is the maximum. You get 1-year automatically and AppleCare adds 2 extra years

I thought he knew that already but thanks for correcting me :cool:

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There's a bit more to it in the details.

But rather than muddy the waters more, here is a screen shot from Apple's Page under the iMac.

AppleCare.jpg

OP, suggest that you go to Apple's web site and read about AppleCare. It goes into much more detail and will explain what is covered and the type of support that you officially have.