Price of new 12" MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by citivolus, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Predicted price in USD of new MacBook Air 12" base model

1. Very aggressive pricing: < $1,099

21 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Same as current offering: $1,099

21 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Small premium: between $1,099 and $1,199

28 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Big premium: > $1,199

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I'm curious to see how people think the new 12" MacBook Air will be priced relative to the current model. Let's assume the specs will be similar to the current base model of the Air (except for the Retina screen).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the base 11" MBA is 999 and the 13" MBA is 1099. I'd have to think its going to be priced in the 1,000 dollar mark.

I also can't see apple selling a 11" MBA, a 12" MBA and a 13" MBA. Something has to give in its product line.

My point is, if Apple does drop one of the MBAs the 12" MBA will probably fit that niche, i.e., say they drop the 13" MBA, then the 12" will be priced closer to what apple is now charging for the 13" MBA

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My wild, shot-in-the-dark guess is that the 12" notebook will replace both the 11" and the 13", and then have the MBP be 13" and 15". If you drop a retina display into the new 12", I think the cost will be $1099. I'm hoping for less, since I'll be updating when the Airs get refreshed, but I'm not sure they'll be willing to hit the <$1k mark.

4. chelch macrumors regular

Just a guess but I think the current 11" and 13" get a spec bump but remain mostly unchanged... maybe the new trackpad...

The 12" becomes the premium MBA with a touch retina display. Apple will use it to test the market before doubling-down on touch.

5. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Apple doesn't do cheap. Not to mention the 12" model is currently only a rumor, as is the possible retina screen it might come with. If they do release a new 12" laptop (might be called something other than Air) w/ retina screen, then to get the entry price-point ~$1000 the innards will likely be lacking real power.

I think they could make a small fortune by bringing back a new 12" 'iBook' or even 'Macbook' w/ retina screen and some low power/longer battery i3 type processor along with a cheaper fusion storage (w/ a smaller SSD to lower costs and the larger HD will appeal to many ordinary users who want the benefits of increased speed but require more storage for music, movies, etc on their machine). If the price-point was between $800-$900 it would be quite appealing to many regular consumers who don't require the power of the Air or rMBP but want a high build quality, retina screen, more built-in storage, and the ability to run OSX.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

With a retina screen and mechanical HD, it would surely have a lot less run time than the current MBA.... wouldn't it? Personally I have zero interest in the new rumored 12" model, it certainly won't convince me to upgrade from my 2013 11" MBA.

7. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I can see this coming in at around the $1099 mark. I'm from the UK so that's £949 for me.

It would be nice to think they would try and match the entry price for the 11" Airs at $999/£849, but that doesn't seem like it would be enough for the rMBA's first outing. I can't see them going any higher either, because it'll start moving into rMBP territory. There's already only £150 difference in the price of a base 13" Air and the base 13" Pro in the UK. Closing that gap anymore doesn't make sense.

8. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I would be very surprised if Apple suddenly dropped the 11" and 13" MBAs when it releases the new 12" MBA. The rumors I've read about the upcoming 12" MBA have hinted that there might be a new type of trackpad and a thinner and lighter package (in addition to the retina screen). These are premium features and should command a higher price.

Thus, I think, at least initially, the 11" and 13" MBAs will remain around (with a discount price) letting the fancy new MBA be unique (and coveted)..

9. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I agree. The mbas are pretty popular. If a retina 12" does come, it could be priced between the two or more than the 13". Hopefully, Apple doesn't gimp it so that it's a hard choice between it and the other airs.

10. Gman021 macrumors regular

My prediction is the 11" and 13" will either be reduced in price to offer a cheaper Mac to buy, or, they would get discontinued and only the retina will be available.

Apple isn't going to keep three different macbook airs at similar prices. Something has to go.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

My guess is that they are aiming for an ASP of $1000. Remember that not everyone pays the full retail price.

If the retail price is $1099, then student discount is likely $999, and bulk buyer / corporate discount is probably $950 or so. In order to maintain a $1000 ASP, the retail would need to be at least $1099.

12. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

If the new MBA uses an ARM processor, I'd expect the price to be $699.

13. pedromcm.pm macrumors 6502

If they stop selling the 11" and 13" versions, has mentioned, the Air has to be cheaper than the Pro. That's the whole point.

Since they will sell more of the same model, upgrade design, the big screens with retina are already being used since 2012... it will be the same price as the 11" or 100$ cheaper.

14. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Fully agree. Just like their sales strategy for current iPads, previous iPhones (before the c, which technically is just the older 5 recast as something new and colorful), and even the cMBP. Add in the newest, most exciting technology at a premium price point, and discount existing models to continue selling older stock and incentivize moving up.

15. jrb363 macrumors member

Depending on the specs I could see it going for $1,199. However, for that price the base would need 4GB ram/256GB SSD and the most recent i-core processor and Intel HD 6000 graphics. Anything less and it's a definite "no way"

16. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It won't.

It will initially use a Haswell chip as the Broadwell chips do not look like they will be available in serious volume until late 2014 at the earliest. Widespread availability may not be until 2015.

17. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I'm thinking small premium with the addition of an 8GB RAM entry level

18. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

But you need to remember that the 'whole point' of the original MBA was NOT about price (they were more expensive than the MBP). It was about squeezing the most advanced technology into a thin and light package. Only in recent years has it become the entry (cheap) model, replacing the MacBook as the lowest priced Apple laptop.

The new12" MBA could be especially thin and light and become more expensive because some people are willing to pay extra for it.

----------

The entry level MBA will definitely not come with 8G of RAM. If you are hoping for that you are dreaming.

19. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    - - - -

if Apple do indeed introduce a 12" Air, then they will for sure drop the 11" and 13" to save muddying the waters.
    it will most likely - but not for sure - have the new A8 processor which, when married to the latest RAM and Flash Drive, will absolutely fly.

MBPro will come in 13" and 15" retina models

keep it simple, keep it sweet :cool:

20. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Replacing both the 11" and 13" MBA with a 12" ARM based MBA is 'muddying the waters'.

Introducing a new 12" retina display MBA that features an ultra low power Intel chip is a home run.

21. halledise, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    agree in part.
    Apple's main beef with Intel appears to be that the processor used in the Airs is too power hungry - hence my observation.
    you are probably right, though time will tell ;)

this article bears some very interesting food for thought going forward
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ife-speed-in-apples-future-iphones-ipads-macs

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

This makes sense to me. The 12" can easily replace the 11 and 13. If it's retina.... Then that'll be the MBA to end all MBAs! :)

23. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

$999 for entry level. One MBA model, slightly redesigned to accommodate the new screen size of 12" while dropping the 11" and 13" models. I agree with others that this model will keep its 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. This will be the "bait" model. The 8GB/256GB combo will most likely be $1199

Apple's profit margins on MBA's are quite high already so Apple can definitely do this. It will not be an ARM processor yet because performance is just not there right now. The ARM desktop class processors that Apple is coming up with is for their iOS devices which will soon catch up in performance to the ultrabooks. It will be interesting to see if Apple decides to go with an iPad/MBA hybrid design or just keep making the iPad more and more powerful sans physical keyboard.

24. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I believe your line of reasoning is quite likely correct.