macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Are you looking specifically for one that's portable or just looking for an external HDD?

I picked up a Seagate 4TB external USB3.0 from Best Buy for $189.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What's with this? What secret sauce does OWC have that it can charge more for less capacity?
This is OWC's pattern with everything and is their business model. They convince buyers the products they sell are somehow specially made for Macs, then jack up the price. There is nothing inherently wrong with their products and users here generally report good customer support, but I have never seen any reason to pay the price premium they charge.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
This is OWC's pattern with everything and is their business model. They convince buyers the products they sell are somehow specially made for Macs, then jack up the price. There is nothing inherently wrong with their products and users here generally report good customer support, but I have never seen any reason to pay the price premium they charge.
A couple bucks difference(10-15%), then I will go with OWC to support a Mac centric shop, and one I know gives good customer service. Above THAT however ...