Price of Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aigo, Oct 24, 2008.

1. aigo macrumors newbie

While waiting for my first Macbook Pro to arrive I am looking to buy some Ram and upgrade to 4gb. I have searched the forum and notice that many buy Crucial so I found this one:http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=05217C5FA5CA7304

The above Crucial Ram is $141.99 and if you buy Apples it's $150. Am I missing something? Doesn't look like a lot of savings to me:confused:
    Did I get the wrong Crucial Ram in the link above?

Reading the Ram guide here I got the impression I would save buy not buying from Apple. Please fill me in.

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

New machine, higher cost for ram. Normally Apple ram is 2 to 3 times the cost of what you can find from other vendors. Give it a month or two, and it will be back down where it should be.

3. nshirey macrumors newbie

You should also try Edge Tech that is great RAM and I know a lot of folks that use that.

Looks like you are looking at DDR3 RAM I take it that since you are looking at that, that is what the newer Macs are using. DDR3 is going to be the new stander for RAM so that is another reason it costs more.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Also, remember that is you buy the RAM yourself it is (about) the same price BUT you get to keep the 2GB sticks. You can sell them (for a small amount) or, better yet, keep them for a rainy day (i.e. in case the stuff you buy goes bad).

Until Apple's prices are lower than the "market price" of RAM, it makes more sense to buy it yourself.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The new books use DDR3 memory which, seeing as its not the standard (but will be in a while) is more expensive than DDR2.

Its nice to see that apple isnt going crazy overpriced this time around with a somewhat reasonable price to upgrade.

6. aigo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. So If I wait you say it might go down to $70 or more in a couple of months?

OK that makes sense. I was wondering how the people with the previous Macbook Pro could buy Ram so cheaply.

7. aigo thread starter macrumors newbie

:( That didn't come out right. I'm done with the multiquoting.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

9. mrklaw macrumors 65816

how quickly and how far do you think prices will drop? DDR3 is double the price of the old MBP ram on crucial (UK site at least). If it'll drop a lot in a few weeks i'll wait, if not I might as well buy soon.