Price Advice Price of second hand Ipod touch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadget123, Sep 24, 2011.

1. gadget123, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011

gadget123 macrumors 68000

Last year I checked prices and it was about £50 for a third generation model and £100 brand new for a new 4th gen via ebay. Now 1st gen are £50, second gen about £70 and third as high as £125 but that's crazy there's a new model due the old models like 2nd gen wont get IOS5 either.

I'm looking for it as a gift but the prices are crazy. How come it's went so high in the last year yet a new model is due very soon?

(Those prices are for the 8GB models)

MOD NOTE:

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. Thank you!

2. redshift1 macrumors regular

Agreed, the ipod prices seem high across the board, probably best to wait and see how prices change with the upcoming release (if they change at all). Sales of ipods are decreasing so prices should drop but there must be other factors at play since they obviously are not dropping.

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

If you're looking at asking prices (buy it now), then you're not actually seeing what the stuff is selling for. Second hand, I've seen new in box ipod 1st gens sell for just $60, which is a lot less than what you've seen for used.

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

After the actual release day, they'll decrease somewhat significantly.

5. Des Zac macrumors regular

Don't forget that the 3rd Gen 8GB is just a re-packaged 2nd Gen 8GB

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

4G got a major update. retina display, camera, A4 chip

Prices would drop after the 5G comes out.

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, that is the most likely scenario. But if Apple does something with the 5G that some don't like, it is possible for resale prices of the 4G to INCREASE as people want to get the 4G.

I remember when the 6G Nano was released, I was offered quite a bit more for my 5G Nano because people preferred that non-touchscreen model.

That is not a probable scenario but it is possible.