Price of the iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by themuttcutter, Mar 4, 2012.

1. themuttcutter macrumors newbie

I know everyone here is talking about the iPad 2 and upcoming 3 but what does everyone think about the iPad 1 price? I know Apple has refurbished 1's for $299. Does anyone think it will go down more after the 3 comes out?? I was thinking of getting my kids the 1 and getting myself a refurbished 2 :D

2. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Prices in it definitely go down, but hasn't Apple already stopped making it? Third party only. I'm sure it's a great deal if it meets your needs.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

@miamialley: yes, I expect Apple quit making new ipad1's quite a while back, but they still have refurbished units of nearly every models on their online store. Refurbs purchased from Apple come with full one year warranty just like new, and Apple states they have new outer shells and new batteries.

I imagine the pricing will go down -- the question is whether they clearance the remaining iPad1 refurbs or continue to offer them alongside ipad2 (and eventually ipad3) refurbs. How many generations back does Apple continue to sell refurbs on other devices, isn't just one?

4. themuttcutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's refurbished from the Apple site.. I worry it may sell out before the 3 or they will simply stop offering it... maybe I should pull the trigger now. How much more could it possibly go down??

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Apple's return policy is usually pretty good, so worst case buy the ipad1 refurb and then look for a price match if there's enough of a price cut to make it worth while. Ready the policies on store.apple.com to see if they do this, I'd be surprised if not since you can just return/rebuy.

On the ipad2 for yourself, I'd first see what is announced on Wednesday. Maybe there will be something that pulls you to an ipad3 or maybe there won't. You have NO worries about Apple running out of ipad2 refurbs. If you're considering a 3G ipad2, the cell carriers (AT&T and Verizon in US) heavily discounted the previous models last year; $200 or so off on NEW ipad1's. They even undercut the refurbs (then sold out quickly).

6. themuttcutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked Apple's return policy. I would only have 14 days to make the return. Hopefully that will be enough time if I order one now.

I can't wait to see what the price drop will be on the 2's. I really think and iPad 2 will be plenty for me :)

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I'm starting to see iPad originals on Craigslist for $200. Heck, there's even base iPad 2's for $275 or so.

I bet they'll get cheaper after the announcements. And of course the longer you wait the cheaper they'll be.

8. themuttcutter thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the NYC area and iPads 1 or 2 aren't going for anywhere near that!! 1's on CL $300 and 2's $350-450+ both 16GB

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

CL will tend to be location dependent. The other thing with CL is you see what *unsold* stuff is listed for, but you don't see what the seller finally accepted after haggling nor do you see the listings (for very long) where the seller posted a realistic price, got a buyer quickly, then cancelled the listing to stop the calls.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It will go down for sure. One thing you may want to consider though is Apple's nasty habit of depreciating "older" hardware -- older for Apple can be 3-4 years. (Take a look at how many recent Macs are not supported by upcoming Mountain Lion OS, or at many many iOS apps are not compatible with iPhones older than the 3GS, which is still sold by Apple.)

So while an original iPad will be cheap, make sure it will run the apps you need to run on it. Also be aware that developers might drop original iPad compatibility in future updates or new releases.

11. shane.reid macrumors newbie

I think the word you meant was "deprecating"

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The two words are used interchangeably as the point prior to obsoleting. They have the same meaning in regards to s/w development.