Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingofkings8183

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Here's my thing. If the low end model were rocking 16gb at that price, ok. Maybe it makes sense. But 8gb?

I think I agree with the web critics. It's clear what Apple is doing. The iPod Touch should be renamed iPhone Lite. Don't call it an iPod if you're going to shy away from what the iPod was supposed to be (a MUSIC player first).

that's the most absurd thing i have ever heard.iphone lite?you do know it does NOT have phone capabilities? it plays MUSIC and plays it well.does it work as a phone?no. it is nowhere near being a phone.

dont call something that plays music and videos nicely an ipod,instead call it the iphone even though it is unable to do anything remotely close to telephony or text messaging. you fail.

Seriously, this whole thread is a waste of internet space.if you cant afford to spend 30 extra bucks for a hundred extra amazing features ,then i pity you.If you just want a MUSIC player at the price you want,there are tons of other options you can choose from.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Only thing that separates the touch from the iphone is 3g. Once it has data, it can do everything an iphone does via apps. I think that was the point the OP was trying to make. It was inevitable that the touch was going to get many of phone's features, it prob was jobs' plan all along.

that's the most absurd thing i have ever heard.iphone lite?you do know it does NOT have phone capabilities? it plays MUSIC and plays it well.does it work as a phone?no. it is nowhere near being a phone.

dont call something that plays music and videos nicely an ipod,instead call it the iphone even though it is unable to do anything remotely close to telephony or text messaging. you fail.

Seriously, this whole thread is a waste of internet space.if you cant afford to spend 30 extra bucks for a hundred extra amazing features ,then i pity you.If you just want a MUSIC player at the price you want,there are tons of other options you can choose from.

kingofkings8183

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Only thing that separates the touch from the iphone is 3g. Once it has data, it can do everything an iphone does via apps. I think that was the point the OP was trying to make. It was inevitable that the touch was going to get many of phone's features, it prob was jobs' plan all along.

it doesnt have data.it will never have data.from apple's point of view,it is not intended to make phone calls of any kind.nor send text messages.they are not considering workarounds people may use to make calls from the touch.

but they have included a very good music player on the ipod touch which imo is better than most other solutions in the market.so obviously it is much closer to being an ipod rather than an iphone.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I don't agree that the iPod touches are overpriced. I see them as much more of a PDA/Internet type device that happens to have an excellent MP3 player built in to it. I paid $200+ for a Palm TX a few years back for just this purpose. It had Wifi, but the browser sucked. There was very little software/apps for it. The music player was a trial of some stupid software that you had to pay more for if you wanted features. It was pathetic. I ended up selling it for $100 a year or so later.

BUT, I do agree, that Apple should have a line of no-frills MP3 players. I know the Classic is there, but it's high capacity is simply not necessary for most people. I know they want to rope the masses into the new Nano. But I just don't see the appeal in that thing. The old Nano did fill the niche of the no frills MP3 player. Now it's like the iPod touches bastard little nephew. And we already know the iPod touch is the iPhone's bastard stepchild.

izimzis

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Actually the new iPods are amazingly cheap, especially the 8gb model.
Usually iPods have a profit margin of at least 50%. It should be around 40% for the iPods. A couple of days ago you could have bought a iPod touch 2g for 200$!

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Here in New Zealand the 64GB has gone down in price and is $50 cheaper compared to the 3rd gen model. :D

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
That makes no sense. If apple did not intend for the touch not to send/resend data it would have not supported wifi. Apple could have just made the touch like the ipod classic. Why do you think apple has brought facetime to the touch? The touch is basically a mini-computer due to the apps and wifi.

it doesnt have data.it will never have data.from apple's point of view,it is not intended to make phone calls of any kind.nor send text messages.they are not considering workarounds people may use to make calls from the touch.

but they have included a very good music player on the ipod touch which imo is better than most other solutions in the market.so obviously it is much closer to being an ipod rather than an iphone.

kingofkings8183

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
That makes no sense. If apple did not intend for the touch not to send/resend data it would have not supported wifi. Apple could have just made the touch like the ipod classic. Why do you think apple has brought facetime to the touch? The touch is basically a mini-computer due to the apps and wifi.

just because my ps3 supports wi fi doesnt mean its intended to make calls.i explicitly mentioned CALLS and TEXT messages to another phone,a phone's primary functions,not data.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
i know! :) where you getting it from? dick smith and b+b have it on their websites now.

I ordered the 64G from Apple as soon as they were live on the NZ site. According to the purchase confirmation should ship sometime next week.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Actually PS3 does make calls via VOIP...whether or not you call another phone is irrelevant because the traditional phone (e.g. land line) has been replaced by other devices that do the same and more. You can also send emails via PS3. Land lines are being replaced by cell and cell phones are being replaced by data. Of course the cell phones don't like it but thats technology for you... Todays technology is not a one trick pony.

just because my ps3 supports wi fi doesnt mean its intended to make calls.i explicitly mentioned CALLS and TEXT messages to another phone,a phone's primary functions,not data.

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Wait...let me call the wahhhhhbulance! I don't understand people complaining about the new Touch...because it was not tailored to "their" ideals? Seriously - it is what it is and love it or hate it but what is the point of whining?

kingofkings8183

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Actually PS3 does make calls via VOIP...whether or not you call another phone is irrelevant because the traditional phone (e.g. land line) has been replaced by other devices that do the same and more. You can also send emails via PS3. Land lines are being replaced by cell and cell phones are being replaced by data. Of course the cell phones don't like it but thats technology for you... Todays technology is not a one trick pony.

ps3 makes VOIP calls.so they should now scrap the playstation name and call it phonestation?same thing here.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
The old 8GB touch was actually the second generation. (2008-2009 model) There was never a 8GB third edition.(2009-2010) This new 8GB touch is the 4th generation. (2010-2011) For the extra $30 its worth it.

If you can't afford the extra $30, then how can you afford an touch at all?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Prior to this release, the low end iPod Touch was the previous generation to the higher end ones. So, essentially, instead of a third generation iPod Touch for $180, you get a front + rear camera, double RAM, more powerful CPU, retina display, etc.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
it is not intended to make phone calls of any kind.

:confused:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Apple.com said:
FaceTime brings video calling to iPod touch. So now you can see your friends and talk to them.

That is right on the front page, dude. Of course they intended for the Touch to make phone calls.

Dunno where you're getting this stat from. 5-year old Sansa players spit out superior sound to the Touch. The Zune also spits out superior sound (which is why I ended up returning my 3rd Gen). Hell, my Palm Pre has better audio quality.

Look, it's not about being able to "afford" the extra money. I'm typing this on a 17" MacBook Pro; I know full well the concept of marked up products. But in the case of the 17" it's actually significantly lower than it used to be, unlike the Touch where they felt compelled to ramp the price. It's the principle of the thing; there's principalities in this.

If the new Touch had:
  • The EXACT SAME screen as the iPhone (which the previous gen did);
  • Truly better audio quality;
  • A better form factor (i.e. not so thin as to be near fragile), maybe half the thickness of the iPhone;
  • A camera on par at least with cell phones released 4 years ago; and
  • A non-chrome back

Then I could justify the higher price. But it's crystal clear they nerfed a lot of the components intentionally so that people would not skip the iPhone, and in the process, they made it just as crystal clear that the thing is overpriced. Even if they at least had the identical screen then I could maybe justify the higher price. But they couldn't even do that.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.

That is right on the front page, dude. Of course they intended for the Touch to make phone calls.

If the new Touch had:
  • A better form factor (i.e. not so thin as to be near fragile), maybe half the thickness of the iPhone;
  • A non-chrome back
Then I could justify the higher price. But it's crystal clear they nerfed a lot of the components intentionally so that people would not skip the iPhone, and in the process, they made it just as crystal clear that the thing is overpriced. Even if they at least had the identical screen then I could maybe justify the higher price. But they couldn't even do that.

First off, by making phone calls we mean the good old fashon dial a number and talk. Check voice mail. Send and receive MMS and SMS, etc

Second, its been said already that the old 8GB was for the SECOND GENERATION, meaning the one from 2008. This new 8GB is THIS YEARS MODEL. It has a lot more then what was used in 2008. The new touch DOES have the same screen as the iphone 4. The old touch had the same as the 3G/3GS.

not sure how all of this is hard to understand. Apple has to make money for all the new extras they added on.

Now I'm sure if the 8GB was the third edition then yeah I would be questioning the raise in price, but its not. Its the all new 4th edition and it has new things that the previous generations did not.

Sorry to sound harsh but it seems to me your a cheapskate.

Tmacfan4321

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
University Park, PA
I agree with you that the touch (iphone, as well as all apple products) is greatly overpriced. I think it is iSupply that estimates that apple normally makes 100% profit from the iphone. I don't mind that it has transformed from being more than just an audio player tho. If you want a pure mp3 player, perhaps the classic is your best choice?
That sort of profit margin (for the iPhone at least) is common in the mobile sector. The nature of cell phone subsidies in the US gave rise to this.

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
I am going to sell my jailbroken itouch "upgraded" 8gb 2g so I can upgrade to the 4g. What is a reasonable price... so far I am at 150 for one offer should I take it?

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
NO IT DOESN'T. Have a good look at the engadget video. When the guy pans down to compare thickness, the iPhone 4 screen maintains near-perfect color, whereas the iPod Touch 4 screen blues out.

What are we in middle school kid? please.
You can't compare something with high wattage lights shining down from above.

I suguest you my friend taken a good look at the display specs for the iPod Touch and the iPhone

Touch:

• 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen
    Multi-Touch display
  • 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch
iPhone

• Retina display
  • 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
  • 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
  • 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
  • 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Yes, the touch specs dont say Retna, either thats a misshap, or what. The actual produict page says Retna.

Don't always believe what you see. Especially when there is light shining down on the devices. Plus perhaps the devices were not set at the same brightness level?

tachnyrus

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010

Dunno where you're getting this stat from. 5-year old Sansa players spit out superior sound to the Touch. The Zune also spits out superior sound (which is why I ended up returning my 3rd Gen). Hell, my Palm Pre has better audio quality.

Look, it's not about being able to "afford" the extra money. I'm typing this on a 17" MacBook Pro; I know full well the concept of marked up products. But in the case of the 17" it's actually significantly lower than it used to be, unlike the Touch where they felt compelled to ramp the price. It's the principle of the thing; there's principalities in this.

If the new Touch had:
  • A non-chrome back

Wah! Wah! My sense of entitlement isn't fulfilled! Apple OWES me these features at the price point *I* demand! Grow up.

I think the iPad is overpriced for it's functionality too. I don't think apple owes it to me at a cheaper price.

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, the touch specs dont say Retna, either thats a misshap, or what. The actual produict page says Retna.

Don't always believe what you see. Especially when there is light shining down on the devices. Plus perhaps the devices were not set at the same brightness level?

You have a point... except he's right. True, it's a "Retina Display", which means only that it has a pixel density of 326ppi at the same resolution. However, the underlying display technology is not the same. You can clearly see in the Engadget video that it is not an IPS display. You can see the colors degrade, while the iPhone 4 simply does not. This is exactly what IPS does not do.

It's not something most people will notice or care about, so honestly it's not that big of a deal. Yes, it's not the same display as the iPhone 4, but we've been dealing with this type of inferior display for the entire iPod touch line, except now this one has a much higher pixel density. It's still a win.

Attachments

• its_not_ips.jpg
    its_not_ips.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.