Price point between MB and MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PC2MAC16, Feb 23, 2009.

1. PC2MAC16 macrumors newbie

Just ordered my new MB 13" 2.4 a few days ago. All your threads have been helpful with my decision over the MB 2.4, mainly due to portability.

However, one thing that made this a tougher decision was the fact that the price differential between the two units (both branb new) is $250 after rebate from a well respected e-tailer. It appears they can give $250 rebate on the MBP 2.4 vs. the only $100 on MB 2.4 model. Does this mean the MB is selling better than MBP? And will I get a better resale value on the MB vs. the MBP?

FYI, I should be getting my shipment in about two days... but it seems like if I could just give up the portability factor, I could get the MBP and a nicer screen for $250 more ;-)

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

i'd say go for the macbook pro, use it for many years to come, and never look back.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The specs of the entry model pro vs top macbook are so similar... If you dont plan on hardcore gaming there really is no need. Plus the 13" is soo convenient. My last laptop was a 15.4" and I NEVER used it outside of school (on a desk). Now with my 13" macbook I use it every day (I actually have not turned on my desktop in the 2 months I have owned this!).

If you do not need the extra video card capabilities of the pro, or the better screen then there is no need to pay extra for it..

4. EB66 macrumors 6502

I am planning on getting a unibody macbook soon and i am moving from a last generation pro, the only thing i can see myself missing is the matte screen because i dont use the graphics card or the speakers on the the pro much at all...the pro is very portable but is still a bit big in your lap compared to a macbook

5. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

It is only because it costs more. They probably give the same $100 rebate for all of the MacBooks and the same $250 rebate for all of the MBP's.

You will probably not get as good of a resale value but it will be pretty close because the speeds are similar. Many people are interested in the bigger screen size. Think about the previous models of Mac's that you could buy used. If you went on eBay and saw both a iBook and Powerbook with similar processor speeds, which one would you buy if you happened to be looking for a used one? I would choose the Powerbook.

6. PC2MAC16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your feedback. I guess I'll stick with my decision for now. I could use the better screen and firewire to transfer occasional video clips. However, the portability factor slight outweights these nice-to-have's since I travel frequently. Cheers!