Price point for future iMacs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WndrWmn78, Feb 19, 2009.

1. WndrWmn78 macrumors newbie

I am finally ready to make the switch from PC to Mac, after having played around with a co-worker's Mac and loving it. I am content to wait for the new iMacs to be released, as my current PC is doing just fine. But what I'm wondering is if anyone has some thoughts on what the new price points may be? That will be the determination on whether I order a new one when they come out, or quickly grab one from the last generation before they sell out. Does anyone have some thoughts using historical pricing from Apple...for example, would you expect the upgraded iMacs to stay at the same price points, or go up considerably? Thanks!!

PS - I would probably go for the 24".

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Usually Apple offers better products, not better prices.

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Generally prices stay the same or go up slightly. A price drop might be possible, but that would more likely be a lower-end addition (like the whiteBook) rather than a price drop of an existing model.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

That's only true when the market supports it. Don't forget, Apple only has a 14-day return policy, and they were perfectly happy to burn the guys who bought JesusPhone for $600, and then slashed the price 33% a few months later.

There is a reason people stop buying Apple products when they know a new update is coming.

And of course, 'burn' is only an appropriate description when discussing Apple. For normal tech companies, price drops like that are typical. I think the economy right now makes dramatic changes in the product line more likely than at any time since the Intel switch over.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/10.0.010; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Well Apple has dropped prices after updates. Just don't expect much of a price change. I wouldn't expect prices to rise for the modeos themselves, although the price of the highest model, with options, may rise if a particularly awesome option is offered. Perhaps it's the only model that offers SSD as an option, or quad core.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Huh? The whiteBook was a price drop on an existing model, not a new product. :confused: I suppose you could argue that since the MacBook range now includes three models, not two, it's "new", but fundamentally, it's an existing model that got a price cut.

FWIW, I can see one potential price drop: the 20" iMac. If Apple decides to use integrated graphics in the entry level machine, then they could conceivably sell it for less. In this economy, that might not be a bad idea, either. I don't think it'll happen, but it's possible, I think.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Yeah that was basically my thought, but I messed up my wording big time. :eek:

And with whiteBook-like specs, they could get it even cheaper. Maybe $999, like the old GMA 950 iMac? The other iMacs would stay at similar prices to what they are.

So in this case the whiteBook iMac is the iMac lineup "price drop." And that's basically the main way I see a cheaper iMac (from a new model). Not saying it's likely though.

9. WndrWmn78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your help! Personally I'm happy (well as happy as you can be spending that much) with the current prices; obviously I'm hoping that the upgraded iMacs will stay at the same prices or only go slightly higher, with obviously better specs - more bang for your buck. I think that's the answer most of us are looking for when we ask if we should wait for the new iMacs...if they're going to cost considerably higher, we'd be happy buying the current generation now. :)