Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
What are your thoughts on base price for "iPad 3"? If it contains a "retina display" , what will the base price be ? Will it cost more than 499$ because of production costs ? IMO if apple releases a retina display tablet they would decrease the price of the ipad 2... Making it difficult to get most of my money back when selling my iPad 2 * I have a iPad 2 , and if the new tablet doesn't contain a significantly better display I can't justify buying it .

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Apple's pricing policy for years has been to introduce new products at the same price points. With the tablet wars raging, I don't think they'd risk raising the price of the iPad lineup.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
It will start at $499, Apple won't raise prices considering the various Android tabs that will be featuring HD screens for less.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
maybe apple will surprise us. everyone wasn't expecting the ipad 1's base price to be as relatively low as it was either.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I would predict the same price point. And that they will keep (one size) of the iPad 2 around to have a lower entry price.

fishlove

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
i hope iPad 3 will be less than 400$

What are your thoughts on base price for "iPad 3"? If it contains a "retina display" , what will the base price be ? Will it cost more than 499$ because of production costs ? IMO if apple releases a retina display tablet they would decrease the price of the ipad 2... Making it difficult to get most of my money back when selling my iPad 2 * I have a iPad 2 , and if the new tablet doesn't contain a significantly better display I can't justify buying it .

i've seen a news said iPad 3 will be selt for 399$, but i forget where it is, i hope it will be true

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Apple has become a bit more reasonable with it's pricing. While we still have substantial Apple Tax added to the BTO/CTO MacBook Pro models, the current pricing of both sizes of MacBook Airs is very reasonable, a first for Apple.

As far as iPads are concerned, so far there's nothing competitive to compare them too, therefore ones opinion on pricing is based purely on personal values.

I do know that IPS displays, which Apple labels as "retina" are much more expensive. Apple has a history of picking clever names to assign to their various products & technologies the vendors supply. It enables Apple to charge more than the same item without a catchy name.

A good example is the way Apple renamed WiFi to "Airport", by purposely avoiding admitting it was just regular WiFi, their novice users thought it was "special & unique to Apple. A brilliant strategy as usual. This method while bordering on misrepresentation, has enabled Apple to charge as much money as they feel like.

Therefore I would not expect them to be offered at the same price point as the iPad 2.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
i've seen a news said iPad 3 will be selt for 399$, but i forget where it is, i hope it will be true

No you haven't. Nobody knows anything about the next iPad's pricing so whatever you've seen isn't "news." It's someone's random guess.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
No you haven't. Nobody knows anything about the next iPad's pricing so whatever you've seen isn't "news." It's someone's random guess.

ahhh the nutty 'analysts' out there who pretty much try to say a bunch of different crap and hope a few come true so they can legitimize their body of work.

i just read a 'financial analyst' saying that 2012 will be the year people should be investing in mobile. lol. what a joke.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Apple has become a bit more reasonable with it's pricing. While we still have substantial Apple Tax added to the BTO/CTO MacBook Pro models, the current pricing of both sizes of MacBook Airs is very reasonable, a first for Apple.

As far as iPads are concerned, so far there's nothing competitive to compare them too, therefore ones opinion on pricing is based purely on personal values.

I do know that IPS displays, which Apple labels as "retina" are much more expensive. Apple has a history of picking clever names to assign to their various products & technologies the vendors supply. It enables Apple to charge more than the same item without a catchy name.

A good example is the way Apple renamed WiFi to "Airport", by purposely avoiding admitting it was just regular WiFi, their novice users thought it was "special & unique to Apple. A brilliant strategy as usual. This method while bordering on misrepresentation, has enabled Apple to charge as much money as they feel like.

Therefore I would not expect them to be offered at the same price point as the iPad 2.
Your definition of retina display is off. The current iPad already uses an IPS panel. A retina display, however, is a display with a very high pixel density (like the iPhone 4's 326 ppi).

iPad 3 will most likely, no most certainly, start at $499. And IF there's a change in price, than this change in price will be a price below, not above, $499.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Whatever new features are to be included in the next iteration of the iPad, one thing you can pretty much count on is that the retail pricing will stay the same.

Apple has their pricing model pretty much perfect. They aren't going to try competing with the $199 Kindle Fire for a very good reason - they'd lose money (like Amazon is) doing so.

Conversely, putting the entry-point price anywhere above $500 will give an opening (no matter how small) for the Samsungs and Acers of the world to try undercutting them. Not going to happen.

This, more than anything else, will determine IF, and or when, you will see a high resolution display on the iPad. If they can get acceptable yield rates at an appropriate OEM cost on "retina" type displays, then you'll see it on a future iPad. If not, you won't. The market for a ~ $700 entry-point iPad is a tiny fraction of that of a $500 one. And what is, from Apple's perspective, far WORSE - is that a $700 entry-point iPad would give competitors room to get into the market.

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Whatever new features are to be included in the next iteration of the iPad, one thing you can pretty much count on is that the retail pricing will stay the same.

Apple has their pricing model pretty much perfect. They aren't going to try competing with the $199 Kindle Fire for a very good reason - they'd lose money (like Amazon is) doing so.

Conversely, putting the entry-point price anywhere above $500 will give an opening (no matter how small) for the Samsungs and Acers of the world to try undercutting them. Not going to happen.

This, more than anything else, will determine IF, and or when, you will see a high resolution display on the iPad. If they can get acceptable yield rates at an appropriate OEM cost on "retina" type displays, then you'll see it on a future iPad. If not, you won't. The market for a ~ $700 entry-point iPad is a tiny fraction of that of a $500 one. And what is, from Apple's perspective, far WORSE - is that a $700 entry-point iPad would give competitors room to get into the market.

This is my whole concern . I can't justify spending more than 500$ for a base iPad because of a better screen and lightly upgraded internals . The iPad 2'isnt even a year old and is still flying off shelves ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.