Price reduction on current MBP when the update is released....?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thommygun88, Feb 11, 2010.

1. thommygun88 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody.

I just started at the university this summer, media studies. We are going to make short films and TV spots this year and will (of course) be using Final Cut Pro for the editing process.

This is also an interest of mine in my sparetime, so I have decided to buy a 15" MPB with 2,66 Mhz and the GeForce 9600.

But since they will be an update soon (hopefully within the next 14 days) I was wondering how big the price reduction will be on the current model. Are we talking 10-20-30%? :)

I have never owned a MBP, so I don't have a lot of experince in that area. I have read this forum for a couple of weeks but haven't found any answers to this question?

TIA!

2. morra macrumors newbie

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

We don't know when a new MBP will be released. You clearly do. Price reduction? 10% maybe if they feel they need to go that route but I doubt you'll see much.

If you need a MBP today get it. If you don't have funds find them. If you want a discount buy used or refurb. If you don't want used or refurb find a way to pay full retail price or go to Amazon and get a few bucks off.

Good luck.

4. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hi,

Apple almost never reduces the cost of anything! so I doubt the MBPs will be reduced when the new line comes in. You should check the refurb store if you really want a deal, I got my MacBook from the refurb store 3 years ago, it was as good as new then and still works perfectly today (touch wood).

cheers,

mp

5. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

The only time they drop prices is usually in the refurb store. I got a MBP with removable battery dropped to $1449 from $2499 when the non-removable came out.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

since you go to a university you can also get the education discount. its around the same discount you get from the refurb store depending on the model computer you get.

good luck

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Apple doesn't do price reductions. When the new models come out, the old models go away, with the only exception being their refurb store. You can do pretty well on Amazon or Macmall if you want to buy older models.

8. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't do price reductions to the extreme degree that when I needed a new charger adapter for my g4 powerbook a couple of months ago they offered to sell me one for the same price they sold them for new in 2003, $79.

9. T3GT macrumors newbie

Man, this whole time I'm just waiting on a price reduction like the first guy said....I guess I should just go ahead and order my 15" MBP 2.66 then....anyone else thinks this is a good idea??:confused:

....(I'm not really going for the new MBP Updates, I was just hoping it would knock the price down on the existing one):confused:

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

YES

when dealing with apple, waiting for a deal or a price drop is never a good idea because you will be waiting for a long time

11. dudulang macrumors member

I don't think so, buddy. Old ones will disappeared when new ones are released. But you can also buy refurbished old ones with reduction.:)

12. Luna81 macrumors newbie

Keep in mind though guys, sometimes the third party dealers do a price reduction. I know we got my husband's PRO after a release and it was discounted a few hundred at Best Buy..