Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MlleJules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Hiya,

I posted here a little while ago, asking if I should sell my iMac before moving from the UK to California, and if so, how much. Only one reply dealt with price, directing me to a website that suggested my iMac was worth about £630.

However, it didn't allow me to specify that it was in very good condition, with Apple Care, and being sold with a Magic Mouse and wired (=numeric keypad) Apple keyboard, plus all original boxes.

And having looked around, I decided on asking £800 for it.

Unfortunately, I've had it listed in several places (company intranet, craigslist, and gumtree) with no bites at all so far. I've refreshed some of these listings to keep them at the top, and still nothing.

My suspicion is that £800 might be too much. Thoughts? I move in one week so I'm a little desperate right now!

Ta!
Julie

(to save anyone looking for the previous post, it's a late 2011 21.5" iMac with 2TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, 2.7 GHz i5 processor.)

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
tried eBay? You can search for a similar configuration, then filter to "completed sells" sor somesuch. This will give you a list of recent sells of comparable machines.

800 pounds for a 2011? yes, I think that is high.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
800 Pounds is a stretch

As the previous post pointed out, checking around for what others are charging for a similar machine, might be a good idea. 800 pounds is a stretch though. I'd probably try for 650 myself.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If no one is interested, then lower the price every few days. Since you have one week left, maybe lower price to 675 or 650 and lower the price slightly everyday.

You might also want to list the original price such as:
iMac £xyz
Apple Care £xyz
Still x months left on Apple Care.

What's "very good" condition? Maybe list it as "like new"?

Take better photos.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
At a certain point, around 4 years old for a 27 inch, around 3 for a 21 inch, you have to put an iMac next to a comparable Mini purely on CPU speed and RAM, and forget all the rest. The benefit of all-in-one is pivotting towards a stone around the neck by then. The screen becomes a time bomb, and if that is gone, you basically have a very awkward machine.
Boxes are becoming an added value around 10 years, when Mac's enter the collectors realm.
I think people rather buy a 2011 Radeon Mini than a 2011 21 inch iMac.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Ebay vs Craigslist

I have no idea what Ebay's listing/selling fees are but back when I used it, they combined to be about 5-10% of the final selling price.
If your potential buyer thinks like me, s/he will likely pay much more on Ebay then on Craigslist.
Why? Because on Ebay there is more assurance that the item is not stolen or broken. Good luck selling it and welcome to California!:apple:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
At current exchange rate 800 pounds is $1300 US. That's way too much for that vintage machine (almost the same as my wife's). Prices across the pond might be higher but I don't think that much over 600 is going to sell. Checking eBay shows nothing in that model selling for over $1,000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.