Pricedrops when the updated books hit the market?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muppi, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Muppi macrumors member

Hello. Im thinking about buying my very first mac, a macbook pro 13". Im pretty confident that i will not be needing the upgrades that are coming(when they are coming). But i am concerned about what this will do to the price on the current macbook.

You guys who have seen a few upgrades already, do you recall what this did to the price of the previous version? I dont need the computer this instant but i do hate the waiting part and as i said before, im pretty confident that i will not be needing the upgrades that much(even tough its nice to have the latest :p ) however i dont want to spend alot of money on a computer thats worth alot less brand new the very next week.

2. sevadox macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing not to long ago; here's the info you're looking for :]
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=867056&highlight=

I bought a refurb 15" a couple days ago, about $300 discount. I'm hoping apple refreshes within the next couple weeks so I can get a fatter discount *crosses fingers*

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Usually, in the UK at least, those now out of date items become unavailable from apple. they do not become reduced by them at all.

Sometimes (very rarely), they go into the 'clearance' section of the website, or can be found in pretty mangled old boxes on shop floor.

However, apple premium resellers do sell their remaining stock at clearance prices. For example, in the January sale, I bagged a macbook (non unibody) 2.13/2GB/160GB/9400 for £400...half price!

4. Austin00 macrumors member

Just wondering, but can these discounts be expected on an upgrade that is likely not to change the asthetics of the MBP at all.

All these discounts (half price, $400+ off a $1699 MBP) seem sharply discounted because they are outdated tech, and pre-major design changes.

I'm all for big discounts, might actually make the 15" affordable for me if we can expect these kinds of reductions, which is nice

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

again this can depend.

I give you the example of my macbook, which was the pre unibody model, but in terms of specs is as follows:

non-unibody vs unibody
    2.13 vs 2.26 Marginally better
    2GB vs 2GB Same
    160GB vs 250GB Better
    9400 vs 9400 Same
    FW400 vs no FW400 Worse
    separate audio in/out vs combined Worse
    5 hours battery vs 7 Better
    no multi touch vs multitouch Better

Therefore the computing power between the two is marginal, while the old model has better I/O and the new model better trackpad and battery.

In reality, the discounts are there so retailers can shift products that people no longer want to buy at full price.

6. Austin00 macrumors member

Yer, i suppose it can be taken in that light aswell.
    We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the update happens.

7. hassoon macrumors regular

why is it worse? like what disadvantages does it have to be 2 in 1 ?!