Prices for refurbished MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bob Coxner, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'm curious about the prices for 13" refurbs. The Apple Store charges the same price ($1019) for the 2010 and 2011 models. The specs are identical, except for the CPU and the discrete graphics in the 2010. Can that graphics card really be worth so much, especially given the i5 vs C2D. It seems to me that the 2010 is overpriced.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5
    Originally released February 2011
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Originally released April 2010
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    320GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

The 2.66 2010 is the "upgrade" model, like the 2011 i7 is to the i5. That's why it's more, they sell the base 2010 for $900.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yes. Its also good to take note that if you aren't doing anything CPU intensive like editing or things that have to do a lot of processing then the C2D will be just fine. The new machines are faster but after taking my Blackbook into an Apple store the other day and opening applications side by side, the new models only opened applications a hair faster.

If you don't have either and you aren't going to be playing a lot of games,get the newer model.I don't thing going from a 2010 Pro to a 2011 pro is worth it though.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I do not think that the refurbished are a great buy. When you add your local sales tax on top of the price, it doesn't compare well to online sellers like MacMall. Considering that Apple has had to replace a customers computer and then run it through the refurbishment process and then resell it for 10-15% under retail, I think that the online reseller makes more sense to me.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

yep, you are comparing a base model to an upgraded model, that is why the prices are similar. the 2.4ghz model is $899 refurbished.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Are the online sellers running the Macs through the same rigorous tests? If not don't you run a higher chance of getting a broken machine?

I'm not challenging you, just wondering what the, I guess, quality of the refurbs off site would be.

They're all used and/or previously broken. I know that, but what makes the MacMall's Macs more appealing other than a lack of sales tax?

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Mac mall sells new stuff.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

They do right? I was under the assumption he was talking about refurbished machines as well. Now if they're selling new ones for a similar price then by all means get it and ignore what I said :)

And again I wasn't challenging or questioning anyone, just wondering why someone would buy from them and not the Apple store when getting a refurbished model.

9. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

No worries, I'm not positive but I Always thought they were like microcenter, just selling new for a lower price.
    Not sure about it though, I just used the student discount in the Apple Store; it was worth it to me to just be able go hand them my debit card and walk out with a laptop.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's what I'm doing. It cuts some off and I get the 100 back; depending on the prices of the new Airs I'm probably going to get the cheapest one and be done with it.

11. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I was saying that I'd rather buy a new machine for less than Apple gets for the refurbished plus tax.

12. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

The refurbished still come with the same 1 year warranty so if you dont need the newest specs, that is a good way to save some money.