Prices on or off a website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Renderz, Oct 5, 2009.

?

As the Site Owner, Prices on or off your website?

1. Yes, Prices on website

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No, Prices off website to get enquiry details

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Renderz macrumors 6502

I'm in the middle of radically changing the homepage design of my Wedding Photography website.

I would like to know from the good people of MacRumors if as a website OWNER (not customer) should you put prices on the website or leave it off so you can get the enquiries?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As the owner you should care about the customer's viewpoint, not your own. So the owner's view would be in support of the customer's view. As a customer, when I don't see any hint at how much something is going to cost I leave. I can find pricing on other web sites faster than I can contact a site owner and wait for a response. People are in a hurry, don't make them wait on you all the time because they have plenty of other options. You don't necessarily need to give exact pricing depending on what you're selling, but some ranges or clues would be good.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I concur, nothing puts me off more than a "CALL FOR PRICING" notice. I just think, screw you, I'm off to somewhere that doesn't think they can rip me off once I'm on the phone with them.

4. Renderz thread starter macrumors 6502

As a customer, I do actually agree with you. I'll let this post run for a bit and gather more opinions then I'll decide.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

5. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Any kind of photography website usually goes off of price quote. I manage a website for a client who does photography... He uses standard rates for printing, but to shoot and all the other stuff, you have to call for price.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I always stay clear from "call for pricing" websites unless I have absolutely no alternative.

7. MasterDev macrumors 65816

You have a good point... But if it's a professional service like photography, you can state standard rates and standard packages... And then for other items, you would do a call for quote.

So I guess I retract my last answer and would go with packages, as I forgot my client did that for weddings. He has about three different packages... Then he has a call for other inquiries on weddings.

But then he has basic rates on printing, which is usually set in stone pricing.

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If you want to come across as a very "professional" firm regardless of your actual experience, I think "Call for appointment" is all you need to post on the site.

Don't even mention the words cost or price on the site, i.e. don't act like a discount outlet if you don't want to be perceived as one, plus later you can discuss value added services and quality (as well as propose services based on their budget).

Follow what I'm saying? You could add an online calendar driven appointment book as well, to do more than just "encourage" someone to pickup a phone, which they probably won't when they can just as easily supply very basic information about the job for you to come back with an appointment date and work the potential sale or contract terms out with them in person or voice, as you see fit.

This concept comes from jewelry stores and bridal fittings and it works for them, apparently. Just a thought!

9. iOrlando macrumors 68000

hard to say given such a lack of info about your company.

very professional (and i hope high-caliber) photographers are unable to post prices on a website because it changes depending on the client. (the venue, number of guests, etc..) How can you say...$1000 for a wedding when you dont know any details about the wedding?

I would say the majority of photographers do that.

If you have a flat rate for an event, say $500 for a wedding no matter what, then sure..you can put it on your website, but I am not familiar with how that would work...such as would the client pay the flat rate and then a per picture rate?

So ultimately it depends on what kind of clients you cater. Higher-end...no pricing.. lower-end..pricing..In general, photography is not one of those industries where you need to list pricing on a website. Call for appointment etc works best.

10. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Prices definitely, whenever I go to a site and there are no prices I don't even bother looking.
    If it's something like a construction company then prices would not be needed as obviously different prices for different projects. And they vary massively.
    Previously mentioned; a rough guide for your pictures: say 50 pics for so much £'s, and the option to tailor your service.
    I would go for prices on your site definitely. Good luck with it and show us how your getting on :).

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

as a customer: no price means I leave the site very quickly.

The only exception is a extremly well known, reputable, high end and highly customized service.

Let's say I let some well known artist design an engagement ring or want a painting from a known artist. Also a medical service would be something that could work without a price.

Average photography (no offense, the field is highly professional and there are many very good photographers out there who have prices on the web) is to competitive. you might lose too many clients that just move on.

12. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

@Dal123:

In construction, labor rates are traditionally well documented and workflow schedules follow a strict time line, so in that context including rates is a must. Material costs and overages vary from contract to contract in construction but in artistic services like photography where so many intangibles come into play, hourly and material rates alone can't determine final cost. It's better left for discussion with the client after an appointment is made, in my opinion.

I understand as a consumer you are comparison shopping and viewing prices is convenient and a great use of the Internet - but you're not buying a widget, you're buying a creative service here based on the company's reputation. In a site like this, a cool looking gallery showing previous jobs, client feedback, and an appointment book are far more appropriate and important than prices.

I'd personally be turned off by rates being posted on a photography site, actually, it cheapens the site. So beyond the reasons already stated, something is to be said for being classy and above the fray without being snooty if the site is designed well, i.e. showing somehow that the photographer isn't selling widgets, but capturing memories.

-jim