Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefriend2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Are macbooks overpriced or worth spending money on?

I feel like i would just be paying for the name and its cosmetics.
For the price of a 2.4ghz macbook, i could get like 2 dells/hps.

:confused:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Yes, there is an "Apple tax" for comparatively spec'ed machines. However, it's up to you to place value on the exclusive operating system, aesthetics, and unibody enclosure. Is the difference worth it? If so, buy a mac. If not, get a PC.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's your money and desire to want a Mac.

Personally, I don't think I'll be buying a new Mac anytime soon given what Apple has done to the Macbook and the possible end of the Mac mini.

applefriend2008

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2008
Yes, there is an "Apple tax" for comparatively spec'ed machines. However, it's up to you to place value on the exclusive operating system, aesthetics, and unibody enclosure. Is the difference worth it? If so, buy a mac. If not, get a PC.

Yeah i see you're point. Ive never bought an apple product till this past weekend. hope im not disappointed.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
It's your money and desire to want a Mac.

Personally, I don't think I'll be buying a new Mac anytime soon given what Apple has done to the Macbook and the possible end of the Mac mini.

I'm with you on that. I will be buying a new laptop next year, but if changes aren't made then I will look at all options. Hopefully Apple will make some needed changes.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Really? What do you dislike about the new macbook?
This is going to sound really old now but it's the lack of FireWire. I also don't want to buy another Leopard Mac so soon. I want Snow Leopard to be preinstalled. Nehalem is an architectural change that's going to improve performance beyond the Core 2 clock speed bumps we've gotten since I bought my MacBook in late 2007.

I'm with you on that. I will be buying a new laptop next year, but if changes aren't made then I will look at all options. Hopefully Apple will make some needed changes.
I just want better hardware options and Snow Leopard.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I just want better hardware options and Snow Leopard.

It is the hardware issue with me also. Snow Leopard will run fine on the new and old Macbook's. I'm not worried about that. Sure it will run better with the newer ones (next year), but it will still do fine on the last few gens.. I will most likely buy another Apple b/c I overall like them, but I'm by no means owned by them. I could do a switch if they continue to charge what they do for what you get. I think Apple will upgrade the hardware next year. It sure in the hell is needed.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

It is the hardware issue with me also. Snow Leopard will run fine on the new and old Macbook's. I'm not worried about that. Sure it will run better with the newer ones (next year), but it will still do fine on the last few gens.. I will most likely buy another Apple b/c I overall like them, but I'm by no means owned by them. I could do a switch if they continue to charge what they do for what you get. I think Apple will upgrade the hardware next year. It sure in the hell is needed.

i agree with you guys on that. i never thought i would move away from the mac platform but i'm just not sure where apple is going. i'm fine with my macs for the next 2-3 years. i was planning to replace a g4 mac next year with a MB or MBP but i'm not sure if i will. i hope when apples market share goes up they will rediscover that they need to support pros. and that they need to offer more choices in hardware. if they want to continue to grow that is. also the high price strategy is a bit too high in my mind. especially combined with less and less features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.