Pricing An iPhone 4S For Resale On Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mojo1, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I'd appreciate some assistance in arriving at a price for two iPhone 4S 16GB devices in mint condition (they have worn Otterbox Defender cases since they were unboxed…)

Both iPhones are unlocked ATT devices; my understanding is that an unlocked iPhone is worth up to $100 more and that they can be used on any GSM carrier network.

Any suggestions/links to reputable pricing websites?

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

$100 more than the original price? Thats tough, I just sold a 16GB Verizon locked for 100 with a chip in the top right corner and normal wear and tear. I would say you can get around 400-450 for both, but thats just what I think will sell in my area. There are numerous ways to find out pricing for the iPhone 4S.

1. Check your local Craigslist ads and see how much people are selling them for.
    2. Check out Glyde. ( http://glyde.com/buy/used-iphone-4s

Have Fun!

3. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the suggestions Dave.

I've checked eBay and local CraigsList ads for an unlocked 16GB iPhone 4S. Top price is around $300 for completed auctions on eBay. Locally sellers are asking up to $275. Average selling price is around $225.

I've sold a couple of iPhones and Macs on CraigsList. I'm older (59) and I tend to keep my electronic toys in top-notch shape. I save the original boxes and include the Otterbox Defender case as part of the deal. I get the impression that many sellers misrepresent the condition in their ad because the typical reaction I hear is "Wow- It really is in mint condition!"

I think that I'll start at $275; I can afford to be patient until the right buyer(s) come along. It's paid-off for me in the past.

I just want to cover my upgrade cost for the two phones and $500 was going to do it until I received a bit of good news this morning: ATT credited my wireless account for $200 when I called about a price adjustment based on the new $99 16GB iPhone promo that I found today on Dealmac.com. The ATT rep told me that the promo is for both new and renewing 2-year contracts (usually it's available to new customers…) I am still within the 14-day exchange time period.

Instead of sending me back to the ATT store to go through the hassle of exchanging the phones (he would have credited me the $35 exchange fee if the store required it) he spoke with a supervisor and his boss approved the credit. So my total upgrade cost is $300 including two new Otterbox Defender cases. I won't be paying anything to ATT until February 2014. Sweet!

4. heated lime macrumors newbie

It all depeneds on the current phone market your in. I buy and sell and fix iphones on craigslist for a part time job. If you can get AT&T to unlock those iphones for you, you should have no problem getting around $270-300 for them, at least in the market im in. If i was selling the 2 phones i would put them on for around $250 and probably let someone talk me down to around 220-225.

hope this helps.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i agree with these numbers, which is about what i had in my head when i read the OP. however, being only a 16GB, i would start around the $250 range and be willing to bottom out no less than $200. reason being is that a 32GB iphone 4 is going around that range on the high side.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

You should have no problem coming up with $500 for your upgrade fee. You'll definitely sell each phone for around $225-$250 each.

I agree, a 32GB would sell for $300 within hours.

7. johnbinsc macrumors newbie

I got $300 for my AT&T officially unlocked 16GB 4S a few weeks ago using CL.

I emphasized that I was original and the lawful owner and could prove it and I provided evidence of the official unlock of the phone by AT&T, and I included the original box and accessories (headphones unused). Demonstrated to buyer that all features worked (i.e. wifi, etc).

I started at $350, dropped priced to $325, and then bargained buyer up to $300. You have to be firm on price and willing to walk away. It can take time so you have to be patient. Or be less patient and be satisfied with lower sale price.

As for CL vs eBay, I also had a bad experience on eBay with a buyer that said my item was not as described and used her CC protection to refuse the charge back to eBay/paypal. Even though it was obvious that she was lying, eBay/paypal sided with her. I got my previously new item back in now used condition and had to pay a chargeback fee. It completely pissed me off and soured me on eBay and paypal. So for things that are easy to sell locally, I prefer CL.

8. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Having sold other iPhones and Apple hardware on CL I have found that having patience does pay-off and I am in no hurry to sell the phones.

It seems like most of the initial responses to CL adds are either ridiculous lowball offers from people who haven't even personally inspected the item and scammers. Then I begin to receive inquiries from people who have email addresses that jive with their identities and who ask questions about the items. It may take a month or longer but eventually I sell the items for a good price for myself and the buyer.

I think that I will start at $285 with my rock-bottom price being $250. Seeing as how Christmas is right around the corner these 4S phones should attract gift-givers: they are in mint condition with the original box, etc. I always include the Otterbox case as part of the deal; my iPhone 3S was purchased by parents who were rewarding their teenage son for improving his grades. They weren't looking forward to finding a suitable case for their skateboarding offspring so they were tickled pink when they saw the robust Otterbox Defender.

9. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Update

I sold both iPhones to a young woman who gave one to her best friend. I got $500 which was my target price. (I asked for $265 each.) It took 24 hours from the time I listed the ad on CraigsList to have $500 cash in my pocket.

The young women were thrilled with their mint-condition iPhones and I was happy to see the iPhones find a good home with people who appreciate them.

10. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Thats great! Enjoy it!

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I listed my 16GB unlocked whit 4S on 6.1.3 for $300 and got countless emails from people interested. I ended up not selling it though.

12. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

CraigsList ad responses are all over the place… The lowest offer was $150 from a woman who wrote that she has seen "lots" of 4S 16GB iPhones with "lifetime cases" selling for $150. She would have been "happy to buy one of my iPhones for $150." Yeah, I bet she would… sight unseen, natch.

I don't need top-dollar and all the CraigsList B.S. that I would have to go through to get it… I'm happy with a reasonable price and seeing items go to decent people. In that regard I've been lucky with my CraigsList sales.