Pricing for 1st Gen Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cineapple, Jun 10, 2008.

1. cineapple macrumors regular

What is a fair price for the 1st gen 8 gig iphone? I was waiting for the new 3g, but was somewhat dissapointed, expecially given the higher rate plan, and would like to buy a used iphone from craigslist. What would be a good deal these days?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Depends on the condition of the phone. Personally, I'm going to be giving my old iphone to my family to use as an ipod if I upgrade.

3. cineapple thread starter macrumors regular

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I would say $200-$300. Above $300 if it's unlocked or something. I think the going rate is still a bit high because no one knows what's going on with AT&T / Apple ($30 data, contracts, will the phone be unlockable, etc.) and since there are going to be no iPhones sold for another month, there are still people who want to buy them.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Well looking at the Portland craigslist I'm seeing some of them in the $150-200 range and a bunch over that (jailbroken and such). I think that is a tad silly considering the price of the 3g.

6. stiphone macrumors regular

i would think that it should be a maximum of $100?? Why would anyone buy it for more when you can get the new iPhone 3G for $199??

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I have no clue. If I was to sell my old iphone I'd only ask $100.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Because it's not $199. Compared to the 1st gen phone, the data plan is $10 more and to get 200 text messages (included in the old plan) is another $5. This makes the total cost over 24 months $559 in comparison to the 1st gen's $399. Don't believe all the hype about the new iPhone being cheaper, because it simply is not so.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Then you'd be missing out on a lot of dough, but it would probably sell in the first 2 minutes!

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

See, thats because I'm not a jerk and don't like ripping people off.

11. MattsxB macrumors member

I tried to buy another 8gb iPhone to sell from craigslist for $100 but the guy decided not to sell it at the last minute.
    I responded within 2 mins of the posting lol...

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

because a) you can't get a 3G iphone for a month, b) you can have a $60 rate plan instead of $75 (voice + data + text) with the 3G, and c) you can unlock the EDGE phones, but it seems that AT&T is going to make that very difficult with the 3G.

13. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Oh yeah, I can understand the somewhat inflated prices now since there aren't any iphones for a month. But I see the prices staying somewhat absurdly high.