Pricing is All Off Now...What are your thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bobjob186, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502a

Bobjob186

Now that the MacBook Air is thoroughly upgraded the MacBook line seems completely out of place.

At $1199 the MacBook is more capable than the MacBook that actually starts at $1299. Understanding that the specs and SSD sizes are slightly different, I honestly cannot understand why someone would pay up for a MacBook compared to the new Air.

Does anyone remember how and when Apple reduced the previous gen Air pricing down to $999? Do you think they could drop the specs slightly on a refreshed MacBook and make the starting price $999?

I think a lineup at MacBook $999, MacBook Air $1199, MacBook Pro $1299 makes more sense than the current line up at MacBook Air $1199, MacBook $1299, and MacBook Pro $1299.

2. torana355 macrumors 68040

The new MBA is overpriced its as simple as that, you would pick the Base MBP over it any day at least in Australia as its just $50 more and you get a way better screen and better CPU.

3. bvz macrumors member

We were waiting for this refresh before updating my wife's macbook air (she has the i7 256GB model). Now I am not so sure we will get this Air. The cost seems to be a bit hard to swallow.

A comparable machine to the one she has now (mostly based on the hard drive size) is $1400. A refurbished 2018 13" macbook pro is currently running $1530. (We won't consider the previous generation because too many people we know have had keyboard issues).

The pro has a quad core i5 (vs. dual core) running at 2.3 GHz (vs. 1.6 GHz).
    The pro has better graphics and a brighter screen (500 Nits vs. 300 I think, though I can't find those details at the moment).
    The pro has 4 TB/USB-C ports (vs. 2 on the Air).
    The pro has the touchbar (which I personally could care less about, but it is there).
    There are probably a bunch of other specs that are bumped on the pro.

Downsides to the pro are:
    It is a quarter pound heavier.
    It costs $130 more.
    It is refurbished (though still with a full warranty).

We will wait for reviews, but in all likelihood we will go with the pro, (Even a brand new pro with the previous gen cpu is going for $1400 new, not refurbished. Though it is much more comparable to the new Air in specs).

Personally I have already been priced out of the Apple ecosystem (I cannot justify even $1500 for a 13" pro with those specs). Instead I have switched to a refurbished Dell XPS 15. Currently they are offering a 15" running a 6 core i7, 16GB RAM (user upgradable), 512GB SSD (also user upgradable), and with an Nvidia 1050ti. Of course the screen is only HD, and doesn't come close to the Pro's quality. But the price for all of that is only $1390. $110 less than the much lower spec Macbook pro 13.

But of course that works for me because I can happily run Linux on it (and I have an old Mac Mini for my occasional MacOS specific work). Windows is not so pleasant to work with - though I manage. But there is clearly a price to be paid for leaving the MacOS ecosystem.

My wife, quite sensibly, wants to stick with MacOS, and I think that is the best plan for her. But I think the Air isn't really the machine for her. The 13" pro seems like a much better deal all around.

4. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

The base model prices should be....

MacBook $900
    MacBook Air $1000
    MacBook Pro $1200

Current lineup starting prices are an absolute joke.

5. triangletechie macrumors regular

My computer use at home is just web browsing, streaming, occasional Office use like many. So the Air's internals is probably fine for my use. However, that $200 jump to 256 gb is holding me back on purchasing. If $1199 was the starting point with 256 gb I would have ordered already.

6. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but the Macbook and the non-touch bar Macbook Pro are going to be discontinued. They are not updated, do not have T2 chips and never will.

Dustbin.

7. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

If the MacBook and NTB MBP are selling well Apple will update it.

8. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

Apple with these prices totally lost the reality, 128GB SSD for $1199 it's a total ripoff

9. puma1552 Suspended

I honestly can't believe that the screens on the MB/Air are only 300 nits, compared to 500 for the MBP, and as high as 625 (in direct sunlight with auto brightness on) for the phones.

Are they really that dim? I guess I thought all along they were the same as the pro, until I really looked into it.

10. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

The specs are listed on Apple's site. What is there not to believe?

11. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Both of you sound as if you haven't been around Apple computers, and their prices, for very long. Take a look at the historic prices of their laptops: $1200 for the new Air is right in line. Actually, when the ever-decreasing value of the dollar is taken into account you're actually paying less than you would have 10 or 20 years ago.

12. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Well, with the Swedish taxes we pay on top of that, you don't even want to hear what the MBA costs here.
    But oh no, I'm not complaining o_O
    I'm used to it. We do get something for it too.

Apple have never been cheap. It won't be
    tomorrow either.
    I will love the new MBA when I got it, but still wobbling a bit between 512 or 256GB SSD.
    So no order quite yet :)

13. Big Apple macrumors member

I think prices seem to be fairly consistent at least over the last few years. When I bought my late 2013 13" MBP, it cost $1499 for the i5/8GB/256GB and $1299 for the base model which was i5/4GB/128GB. Today's prices for 13" nTB are $1299 for the base model of i5/8GB/128Gb and $1499 for i5/8Gb/256GB

The 13" Air back in 2013 was $1099 for the base model which was i5/4GB/128G compared to current base pricing at $1199 for i5/8GB/128GB. I believe if I remember correctly (but not 100% sure so don't quote me) that you could upgrade to 8GB for $100 more ( so $1199 for i5/8GB/128GB) which seems to be right in line with current pricing.

I don't know about other years pricing since I haven't looked since then, but those were the numbers when I was looking 5 years ago.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

What the MBA has shone a light on is just how amazing the MBP is. At only 1/4 pound more, it really packs in a lot of computer. Yes, it's more expensive. Yes, the form factor isn't as wow-inspiring. But, for my $, you sure do seem to get a lot in the trade up to the Pro.

TMMV.

15. Pugly macrumors regular

The base 128GB is the most egregious to me, and the $200 upgrade is even worse. Everything else is not necessarily great but tolerable.

For a while, 5 years ago or so, it seemed Apple really wanted to compete on price. The $899 11" and $999 13" airs were great computers, and a good value as far as Macs go. The $1299 13" Pro was also great. Now it just seems like Apple is increasing the base price by $200-$300...but you aren't really getting more for your money.

They usually had a compelling model at a good entry price to get you looking at Macs, and then you start reasoning through getting on the upgrade treadmill.

The value buys are iPads now I guess.

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Yeah without the £/$999 price it's not really bringing anything new to the table. The nTB Pro is available in John Lewis, PC World etc for £1,199 anyway. The only thing you're gaining is touch ID, maybe more battery life and the wedge design (which, yes, is nice) but for that you're trading in a better screen and more powerful components.

17. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

I'm extremely curious. What level of formal education do you have and specifically what college or University did you attend/graduate from?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2018 ---
    On TV they just talk about tax cuts while the Apple tax goes up and up and up and the slaves in China still pull down a buck an hour and they have to put out nets to catch the workers trying to kill themselves.