Pricing - is this true

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaterToT, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Saw this in another thread. This can't be true can it?

2. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

yes it is true. when i ordered my 3gs they put a hold for the 299 on my credit card then when they shipped it they charged another 299 to the card then a day or two later the 299 that was on hold was released back to my card.

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I've purchased many things through Apple.com and I can say they never double charged me. They put a hold for the full amount on the credit card..

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

That seems like a weird thing to do. I would think they would put the hold on your card, then push the hold through as a charge and use the hold money to pay for the phone.

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Sorry, I'm not following what your saying here.

Are you saying that when you pre-order an iPhone 4 (I presume on PAYG going by the price of £499), you need to have £499 in your account and pay it to hold the phone on pre-order. Then when they ship the phone, they charge you another £499?

In short? Not a chance in hell. When does the "first" £499 get refunded then?

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

When you preorder, they will need to "authorize" the funds on your account. They will not officially charge you until the release day.

7. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what the guy I quoted was saying, I'll be paying 299 for the 32gb and I might not have enough in my account on the 24th to have them double charge me...

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

They won't double charge you......

THey authorize on purchase, finalize on launch day.

9. obamtl macrumors regular

When you order, they hold the cash. For example, let's say your credit limit is #1000, your balance is #0 and the item costs #400. After the hold is placed, your balance will remain #0, however your credit available will go down to #600.

When the item has finally been shipped, they then actually charge your card. There are two scenarios here.

1. The hold has lapsed. If the hold they put has lapsed before the item has been shipped, at a particular point in time, your available credit would have returned to #1000. They will then charge you the full amount afresh, at which point, your balance will rise to #400 and your available credit will decline to #600 simultaneously.

2. The hold has not lapsed. If the hold has not lapsed, they will simply claim the money on hold, your balance will rise to #400 and your available credit will remain at #600.

Never, will you get double-charged.

10. I AN LEGEND macrumors regular

11. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome that's what I was thinking but just wanted to make sure.

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Go read the original post once again.

13. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

exactly so you will need to have the funds available for the authorization and then for the actual charge.

14. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

That does not seem "fair". I have seen many places that can charge a lot, but they only place a hold for $1.00 on the account. Someone on here told me that is what they would do. Having twice the amount needed in your account is not fair for those that do not have that (not saying that this is my case so do not judge). Just because you cannot afford two does not mean that you cannot afford the actual phone.

15. KingHuds macrumors 6502

You only need the amount for one in your account, if anything $1 more.

16. jfk3674 macrumors member

It's the same thing as when you pay for Gas or a Meal. The pre-authorize an amount until the final amount is known. Thats why sometimes when you buy a meal it will show one amount as held which was the actual food amount, then a second charge for the food amount plus tip. It's standard for a lot of different industries.

17. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

i'm just telling you how it went down when i ordered my 3gs last year using my credit card. it may be different if you choose to use a debit card. hell it may have been just my imaginationi.

when i ordered the phone they played a hold for the 299 plus the taxes. then when they shipped the phone they processed the charge and a day or two later the hold was released back to my card.

18. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but that is not the question. When places do that, you do not need twice the amount of the bill in your account. Everyone is giving conflicting answers to this. :confused:

Frankly, I do not keep that much money in my checking account. If I need that much, I would like to know to avoid not not getting the phone and/or overdraft fees.

19. KingHuds macrumors 6502

20. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That's why a credit card is needed since a debit card will screw you over

21. KingHuds macrumors 6502

It will work the exact same way...if they put a hold it will be a pending charge, and then it will change to an actual charge...you will never need double the amount credit or debit.

22. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I saw that thread and he was just joking; poking fun at a question another member asked.

23. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but not everyone out there has a credit card. I have a few just for emergencies, but I do not think this counts. ;)

That is basically saying that if you do not have a credit card, then you cannot get an iPhone. What if you chose not to have a credit card or you are too young since they recently changed the age requirements?

24. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

why should I have to read the post again, he was asking about being double billed.

I commented that I've never been double billed through Apple..

Maybe you should read the post again...

25. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

wasn't joking was speaking from my experience with my 3gs preorder last year