Pricing of Sport and Edition Models?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Unless I overlooked it, I don't remember Apple even mentioning the pricing during the keynote (the crowd surely wouldn't have been happy with that part). Any idea on the Sport and Edition pricing? Out of curiosity; not buying for more than $149-$199. I'd speculate $399 for the Sport model and $499 for the 18k gold Edition.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Unless I overlooked it, I don't remember Apple even mentioning the pricing during the keynote (the crowd surely wouldn't have been happy with that part). Any idea on the Sport and Edition pricing? Out of curiosity; not buying for more than $149-$199. I'd speculate $399 for the Sport model and $499 for the 18k gold Edition.
It was mentioned. Low end starts at $349.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Sport model the lowest, absent sapphire glass.

Apple said $349.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I would guess the Sport is the lowest one at $349, the basic one proabably 499-599 range, and the gold one is 4 figures. I would bet money on that one, particularly having heard the kind of box it allegedly comes in.

What's the difference between sport and the general version?
The material, Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum and the screen Glass vs. Sapphire. At least that is all that I can surmise from the available info.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You've got to be kidding me. You really think they'd make a solid gold watch?
It says 18k on the back. It would say plated if it was plated. So it's solid gold. Why not? We live in an era of 25 year olds with Amex Black Cards and a baked in sense of entitlement. Nothing is too luxurious anymore.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You've got to be kidding me. You really think they'd make a solid gold watch?
No, not as a normal model. As a limited run to establish themselves as high-end, yes. Of course I assumed it'd be gold plated when watching the keynote but they do raise a decent point that it's possible that it could be a solid gold frame priced for the upper end of the market.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Ives said something about a special gold alloy for strength, not gold plate, which doesn't depend on the plating for case strength.

So, yes, 4 figures range for the rose gold edition.
Uh. Of course he is not going to say gold plated. That sounds cheap.

The stronger gold alloy means there is less actual gold in there as real gold is soft. That means larger amounts of other metals, which mean a cheaper price.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011

The stronger gold alloy means there is less actual gold in there as real gold is soft. That means larger amounts of other metals, which mean a cheaper price.

And plated on top of a hard stainless steel backing.

----------

I would guess the Sport is the lowest one at $349, the basic one proabably 499-599 range, and the gold one is 4 figures. I would bet money on that one, particularly having heard the kind of box it allegedly comes in.

The material, Stainless Steel vs. Aluminum and the screen Glass vs. Sapphire. At least that is all that I can surmise from the available info.

Sport:
Al, plastic, glass

Normal
Stainless steel, ceramic, sapphire

Edition
Gold, ceramic, sapphire

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Sport doesnt even use sapphire, and plastic back instead of ceramic.
Its the cheap one.
Hmm, I'm a little worried that the stainless steel one is gonna be a little too expensive and I don't want the sports edition. Apple needed to get the pricing right but now it looks like the stainless steel one will cost way more than any other smart watch on the market.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Wow.. It seems that it is actually gold, not gold plated, that's crazy.
"Each has a watch case crafted from 18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold."

You've got to be crazy to buy a golden watch which will be replaced after a year or so..

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
According to Walt Mossberg, the Sport version is the low end so $349. So it's the regular, and edition that we don't know the price for. I'm guessing that the regular will be $100 more, and the edition at least $1000 probably more.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Pricing of Sport and Edition Models?

Wow.. It seems that it is actually gold, not gold plated, that's crazy.

"Each has a watch case crafted from 18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold."

You've got to be crazy to buy a golden watch which will be replaced after a year or so..

You're falling for marketing spin.

Gold plating over steel, would make the gold hard. LOL

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

Hoping that you are joking. If Apple did what you said they did, without telling us that it was gold plating, they would be prosecuted for false advertising. For a company the size of apple it simply wouldn't be worth the risk.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009

Correct me if I am wrong but when something is 18k that is referencing the percentage of the weight that is pure Gold. 24k is 100% and 18k 18/24 = 75%

So the gold in the metal frame is 75% ... Assuming this Model is gonna be really pricey. Without a doubt 4 figures

jjvdhoef

macrumors member
May 19, 2009

Alloys are available in a wide range of prices and gold content, and an alloy is neither "pure" gold, nor plated.

Pure gold would be way too soft to be of any use.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
If the Sport is the $349 one, then fantastic because that's what I'm getting regardless (health/fitness tracker is my #1 priority).

I'd predict:

Sport - $349

Standard - $499

Edition (if Gold-Plated) - $999

Edition (if Gold) - $3999