Pricing Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megamanbnmaster, Jun 11, 2009.

1. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Hi, I've been wondering about 2 things about the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G(s)

I have an original iPhone and it's been working pretty well, but I don't have a contract and I'm planning on getting the new iPhone 3g(s) phone.
    Knowing that the JB + SMB tools allow edge functionality, i was wondering if its possible to disable 3G on a 3G phone and keep edge.

I plan on getting the new iPhone, using it for a month, then put the sim card back into my old phone, call ATT, tell them that i want to change my plan back to the original iPhone Data and that i "sold" my new iPhone, then just use edge data on the 3Gs phone.

3G sucks in my neighborhood (according to my friend's iPhone 3G) and id rather not pay the extra 15 bucks for 200 texts and faster internet.

Has anyone done this before on the iPhone 3G? were there any problems?
    Thanks for your time and input.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

The system will probably be able to tell by the IMEI once you put the sim back into the 3G S.

3. megamanbnmaster thread starter macrumors 6502

aww. that sucks. there goes my plan of using iPhone 3GS. Does anybody know if they actually reinforce the "will add correct data plan to account" thing?

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

It wouldn't matter as the original iPhone data plan doesn't exist except on the current contracts, of course. Getting the 3G S means getting a new contract, however.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

As soon as your iPhone 3G S connects to the cell network, it will send the IMEI of yoru iPhone 3G S and AT&T will know that you are using the iPhone 3G S. So, if you want to call Customer Care make sure that you have your SIM in your original iPhone and be prepared to tell the rep the IMEI of your original iPhone. You can try it, just put your SIM in any AT&T branded phone and then wait a few minutes, then log into OLAM and you should see the current phone that is online.

If you really want to learn about IMEIs and what your phone reports every time it connects to the network, try this link:

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr

As of this date, they are still just sending WNG SMS Txt messages and Emails (if your preferences allow) warning you that you are using an incorrect plan and to call and correct.

Dave

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The original iPhone Data plan still exists for any customer that is currently using the network and any customer that wants data service on an original iPhone.

You have an original iPhone, you get the original iPhone Data plans to choose from. The contract is for service not for a data plan. AT&T offers data plans based on the device you choose to use and the devices capability that AT&T chooses to support. :eek:

Dave