Pricing trends in RAM, plus amount necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaoticbear, Mar 6, 2008.

1. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

For those of who have been watching the market longer than I have, how fast would you estimate the price of RAM falling? I'd like to max out my SR Macbook, but the 4 GB kits I'm looking at start at about 85 dollars. I could get 2 for less than half that, but I'd love to see some futureproofing.

Also, when I read about pageouts/pageins, I want to decrease my pageouts. My computer has been up for a couple of days, and here is a screenshot of my pageouts/pageins. Should I just suck it up and go for 4 GB?

[​IMG]

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4 GB of DDR2-667 (2 x 2 GB) SODIMMs have bottomed out. They've been hovering at ~US$80 for over 3 months now.

3. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

2gb chips will drop in price probably when 4gb chips come out and are reasonably priced. But by the time that happens DDR3 might be becoming mainstream which would end up causing DDR2 prices to rise due to less demand.

Theres always a chance for ram to get cheaper, just make sure you get it before DDR3 grabs hold of the market, because once it does DDR2 prices will skyrocket like DDR and SD did. Be aware that DDR3 is already out but its still expensive and just starting to be included in PC's.

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Prices for computer components will always keep dropping until they become obsolete. Then when manufacturers stop producing them, rise sharply. Just look at the prices for DDR and DDR2 memory.

Since you have a need in mind, I say get the 4gb kit now. The prices might drop in the future -- but think of it as you achieved your goal and get to enjoy the benefits of the extra RAM from now, and not some months in the future.

5. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. Next payday, I'm going for it!