Pricing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jamesjanzen, Dec 13, 2013.

1. jamesjanzen macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure out which laptop of apple's to get. I've decided that I'd like an i7 processor, 13" and 8 gigs of ram. It seems that the cheapest laptop with these specs is the 13" macbook air, which I've been researching for a while now and have kinda-decided on. As a general question - is there something I'm missing here? Just in case... thanks.

2. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

No, you're correct. The 13" MBA you've specced is a great choice.

3. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

the rMBP 13 is also worth considering, for around the same price:

swap the i7 for an i5 with higher clock speed
    retina display
    1/2 pound heavier

unless you need every scrap of weight saved possible, the 13" rMBP is basically a more powerful MBA

4. jamesjanzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information :D

Are you sure about that? I've looked at Geekbench and whatnot scores and it appears that while the base Retina has a higher clock speed (.7 gHz) apparently the i7 makes up for and surpasses this? As well, I've also heard i7 will be compatible for longer than the i5... yes/no in your opinion? Thanks for the feedback :D

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

6. jamesjanzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Tomorrow :)

As far as I know I don't think we're allowed to install programs on the in-store ones ... :( I wish.

7. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I just bought a 13" 512gb, i7, 8gb (for extremely cheap) and am blown away at this thing compared to my early 2011 MBP. It's insanely fast! You'll love it!

8. jamesjanzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome :D Congrats on your new mac!

Update: Was just at the local (kinda) Apple Store, tested out the MBA i5/4/128 and MAN was that fast. While the sales guys weren't looking I downloaded a cracked copy of Minecraft to test FPS and all that. For i5 and 4gb, I got an average of 20-60fps on the maxxed graphical settings. Wasn't able to test combat settings but did blow up a bunch of TNT and brought in a bunch of entities... never dropped below 20 fps.

Definitely got my hopes up for the i7/8/128. :D