Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I was watching some training for FCP on Lynda.com and the trainer made it clear that he did not want us to use the boot disk as a scratch disk (not even a partition). One reason is that the bandwidth from a single drive is not enough, causing it to run slower, but he also mentions that it will almost always cause dropped frames (not just while editing-it will also so in output). If that is so then why are so many pros on Apple's site saying that they finally have the power to edit movies (FCP I would assume) on the go. I'm sure pros wouldn't want dropped frames in their movies.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
cuz they bring a FW drive with them...

when they say they are editing 'on the go' they really mean that they can go somewhere else, sit down with a laptop and an external drive, and edit. they are not talking about editing on a bus or in a car.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
cuz they bring a FW drive with them...

when they say they are editing 'on the go' they really mean that they can go somewhere else, sit down with a laptop and an external drive, and edit. they are not talking about editing on a bus or in a car.

Right, I forgot about bus powered drives:eek:

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
I don't do anything hardcore, but I've never dropped frames capturing to my primary drive.

That said, giving as much bandwidth as possible at any given time is the best thing you can do...

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
i wasn't talking about bus powered drives... those are not very fast (usually small laptop drives). I was talking about 3.5" 7200 RPM drives. When they are 'editing on the go' it is them sitting down somewhere, hooking up their laptop and hard drives, and going to work.

hoop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2007
Bath, yookay.
I was watching some training for FCP on Lynda.com and the trainer made it clear that he did not want us to use the boot disk as a scratch disk (not even a partition). One reason is that the bandwidth from a single drive is not enough, causing it to run slower, but he also mentions that it will almost always cause dropped frames (not just while editing-it will also so in output). If that is so then why are so many pros on Apple's site saying that they finally have the power to edit movies (FCP I would assume) on the go. I'm sure pros wouldn't want dropped frames in their movies.

Sounds like false information to me. I use my primary disks all the time without any problems.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
When you have your data and your scratch on the same physical drive, the head is forced to repetively transit back and forth between the data area and the scratch area, and the time requried to do this adds to the latency of the whole system. At some point it falls over and starts dropping frames.

Here's a way to test it. Take a large folder, and Duplicate it on your hard drive (or copy it to a different partition) Time how long it takes. Now take the same folder, and copy it to a different hard drive. It'll take almost half the time - because the destination drive can write continuously and the source drive can read contiuously, without shuttling the heads back and forth.

You can also understand from this why putting the scratch on a different partition on the same drive is ineffective -- its the same physical head transiting back and forth, even in it is n different logocal partitions on the drive.

So: Dividing highly alternating tasks between different physical drives is a primary strategy for improving performance, moreso than RAID or any other strategy.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
When you have your data and your scratch on the same physical drive, the head is forced to repetively transit back and forth between the data area and the scratch area, and the time requried to do this adds to the latency of the whole system. At some point it falls over and starts dropping frames.
So: Dividing highly alternating tasks between different physical drives is a primary strategy for improving performance, moreso than RAID or any other strategy.

Not to mention that this constant degree of physical work on the heads and disks themselves increases the odds of physical malfunction and wear, and, in my experience, opens your primary drive to all sorts of other file corruptions in the system.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
so thats why i got dropped frames!!!! man i even posted for help awhile back and got no answer, so had to use a PC with Avid because I couldn't find the solution... (good ole manuals...)

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I use my MacBook & a Lacie FW pocketdrive to edit with on my Train journy into work :D the only down side is its a bit hard on the batterys.

Works ok, but im not runnig full DV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.