iPhone 7(+) Prime Day Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VirtuallyInsane, Jul 15, 2019.

1. VirtuallyInsane macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

So I was looking at all the deals on Amazon Prime for the iPhones and I was thinking to myself “...Hmmm there’s deals on. Should I upgrade?” At the moment, I am using an iPhone 7 Plus with 94% Battery Health. Don’t get me wrong. I like the phone but the battery drains quite a bit and it overheats, even when I’m not using it heavily. It’s on iOS 11 and it feels a bit sluggish sometimes.

And at the moment, there is 26% off new iPhones on Prime Day. Should I upgrade to an iPhone 8, buy a new 7... or just wait or what?

Any advice is welcome.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This is really a choice you need to make for yourself.

4. VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

I tried running it on iOS 12 a while back but it seemed to be faster (yeah) but it also seemed to drain more and heat more, which is why I downgraded back to iOS 11.

But I guess it’s more stable now.

I know but it’s a difficult one, even when you weigh down the pros and the cons. I know the 8 is a slight upgrade and it has wireless charging but idk... :/

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Do you have the expendable extra money to buy it? If so do as you want.

6. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Where is this deal of 26% off new iPhones?

7. VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

Yeah, I have the money. Been saving for a while.

It’s on Amazon. UK. Not sure if its on the US Amazon. But it’s there.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

If you're going to get a "new" or refurbed iPhone, go with the X. That's kind of the sweet spot and it's current gen

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

You are so close to new iPhones being announced.

If you think your phone can last & you say you've saved the money, why not hold out?

You know the X phones' price will drop anyways with the newest phones being released.

10. VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

I seen some for about 550, 600 refurb. I seen a few local ones in shops for around that too. In the X series. I would think about an X/XS, but not an XS Max. I think it’s pretty much too big.

Yeah. The proposed new iPhones seem like they are pretty similar to the current ones. And will the XS price drop down to the around the price of the current X? If it does, then idk. Aren’t they both very similar phones?

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I have the XR which is I believe is considered mid range, so that's all I know. It's not biggest in size, doesn't get the best cameras, and internals. But Apple was and still is unloading them with that great trade in deal. So I turned in my 7+ and got the XR for $400+. I have no idea what the XS will go to.

12. VirtuallyInsane, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

The XR is a weird one for me. It feels like both an upgrade and a downgrade at the same time. One one hand you have the Face ID, new processors, bigger screen and the wireless charging but on the other you have the decreased resolution and a similar sized battery than the 7 (plus). I dunno. I heard the battery is good on it. And its fast. And I never liked the color idea much. And the bugger bezels. Reminds me of the Xiaomi Mi A2 lite in the sense that it feels like a Lite version of a premium phone. Not calling it a bad phone. It just seems ... weird to me.

13. Nacho98 macrumors member

Selling a nearly 3 year old phone just to get a nearly 2 year old phone seems like a waste of money.

14. VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

I am looking at the X models too. Might just consider waiting but haven’t seen a better deal yet.

15. majkom macrumors 65816

lol, had dillema, solved by amazon, ip 8 plus sold out before I pulled the trigger:D

16. riteshritesh macrumors member

If you are tired of the 7+ ( size or issues-wise), go for the XS. You wont have to worry till 2020, when the 5G iPhones are supposedly coming out.
    The XS have dual sim ( e-sim+physical), if that matters to you.
    Once you buy it, avoid going on Amazon for the next 2 years.:)

17. NateEssex macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 8+. I agree 100%.

18. VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

Sold out? Interesting xD

Yesterday, I went to the Apple Store. Went to try out the XS and it seems a really good size and the screen is a lot better than the regular 7/8 series. I am considering waiting til the new iPhones release before I buy an XS/upgrade.

I like the premium feel of it too and the wireless charging (and the fact that the new Airpods will work flawlessly on it. Bought some of those for my iPad).

Don’t care for 5G. 4G is good enough for me at the moment.

I thought about the 8 plus but kept the 7. I actually upgraded to the 7 Plus about a year ago because the regular 7 was annoying me and the other options seemed expensive at the time.

19. VirtuallyInsane thread starter macrumors member

VirtuallyInsane

UPDATE: I found an outstanding deal online for a new iPhone X 64 GB so I decided to take it. So far, I'm loving it. Glad I waited and didn't buy the Prime Day Deal. The wireless charging is a neat feature and the OLED screen looks good. And it's easy to hold in one hand.