• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To coincide with the 59th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony on Sunday, Warner Bros. Records today announced that Prince's well-known hits are now available on streaming music services such as Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play Music, Pandora, and iHeartRadio Plus and All Access, after a nearly two year exclusivity period with Tidal.

prince-apple-music.jpg

Prince, who passed away in April 2016, had pulled his music from all streaming music services but Tidal in July 2015. Since his death, Prince's estate worked on deals with various services to make his music available for streaming again. As expected, the songs and albums became available today.

Update: A spokesperson for Deezer informed us that it will be actively adding Prince's songs to its playlists over the coming days.

Article Link: Prince Now Streaming on Apple Music

Reactions: DeepIn2U

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Record executives right now... making a profit from the death of an artist!

More like his relatives. If Prince didn't want this outcome, he should have written a will.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Glad found, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" run top 1 on the list, should be classic and great song of Prince.
It's Prince participating in a cover of a Beatles song, and it doesn't improve upon the original. I'm a bit sad it's at the top of the list when he has so many tremendous songs of his own (Controversy, 1999, Delirious, Let's Go Crazy, Kiss, Gett Off, Cream, Sexy MF, Pope and many others).

Comment

rubberfish

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2014
It's Prince participating in a cover of a Beatles song, and it doesn't improve upon the original. I'm a bit sad it's at the top of the list when he has so many tremendous songs of his own (Controversy, 1999, Delirious, Let's Go Crazy, Kiss, Gett Off, Cream, Sexy MF, Pope and many others).

Agree it shouldn't be at the top of the list, but it's worth it for Prince's face-melting guitar solo

Comment

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Great. Prince whilst brilliant was paranoid and delusional about signing any contracts. He left pretty much nothing despite massive success. I'm not sure if he had dependants however it seems right that we can finally enjoy most of his music now, he didn't even have a website or anything before so being able to listen and discover all these beautiful records is only a good thing.

...and without a will he foregoes the right to any control after death.

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I can't help feel that if Prince didn't want this, then his wishes should be respected after his death.

Must be a sign o' the times.

It's his estate, i.e. his loved ones, who made the decision to profit on his songs. His loved ones felt money was worth more than any of Prince's wishes.

Comment

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I can't help feel that if Prince didn't want this, then his wishes should be respected after his death.

Must be a sign o' the times.

His wishes are limited to the will, which doesn't exist. Now that he's dead sans will, the only wishes that matter are his heirs'.

Comment

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
It's his estate, i.e. his loved ones, who made the decision to profit on his songs. His loved ones felt money was worth more than any of Prince's wishes.
His wishes are limited to the will, which doesn't exist. Now that he's dead sans will, the only wishes that matter are his heirs'.
Yes, I understand all of that. I'm not talking about a non-existent will. I'm talking about his wishes, that clearly existed before his death, were to limit streaming of his songs. Whilst there is no requirement in law for anyone to respect those wishes now, one would hope his loved ones would have nevertheless respected those wishes. It doesn't seem that they have.

Comment

princessgleek

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
I wonder if the albums Universal Music now has the rights to will land on streaming, I hope of those albums is The Gold Experience which has The Most Beautiful Girl In The World on

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
He would have hated this. But then he was also a David Icke-esque conspiracy theorist and a Jehovah's Witness so he wasn't right about everything.

Brilliant to finally be able to stream all his music.

Reactions: ErikGrim
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.