Prince of Persia useless copy protection

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The 1992 version of Prince of Persia has the most useless copy protection ever. Level one is the only level included in the demo, so the copy protection kicks in when you win level one and try to play level two. When you win level one you get chucked inside a room with about a dozen potions. A dialog box comes up saying "drink the potion matching word X, line X, page X in the manual". Each potion has a letter above it. The stupid thing is that you get unlimited tries, and each time you have almost a 10% chance of drinking the right one... :rolleyes: Often it only takes a few guesses to get it right. About 10 at the most.

Anyone else encountered stupid/useless copy protection?

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

So?

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

LOTS of games in the late 80s and 90s had this copy protection.
    They often ask the player to type in something from various pages in the manual. The concept was that only legit users had the manual... It was as effective as today's copy protection.:D

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I remember my Dad used to occasionally get me dodgy games for my Amiga. They would often come with a printout with all of the answers to the copy protection questions. This sort of copy protection method was pretty common.

6. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Of course back then pirating wasn't too much of a issue, as the internet wasn't an effective means of distributing software, legally or illegally.

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Our beloved App Store has no effective copy protection. The same simple method works for every single app out there. Sucks to be a dev!

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

>2011
    >Talking about copyright back in 1992!
    >Welcome to 2011
    >I seriously hope you guys don't do this
    :D

9. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Remember Sid Meier's Civilization I, back in the days of DOS? It was an awesome game, but the copy protection was easy to get around, it asked a question for you to look into the manual for the answer, but it was a general knowledge sort of question that you could often easily remember after a while. I loved that game. I was always the one who dominated the entire world. :)

Geoff Crammond's Microprose F1 GP had a chart with words you had to enter if I remember right. Those were the days - no activation stuff! :cool:

And then I remember when some high end software started using activations, like the old Dreamweaver type software, those activations were always easily bypassed by anyone with any clue of computer knowledge. Now they are fortunately more robust.