Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Prince's catalog of songs is headed to Apple Music and other streaming services, like Spotify, Pandora, Google Play and more, on February 12, reports the New York Post. Currently, Prince's songs are only available to stream on Tidal.

prince-800x399.png

It would be the first time in 19 months the singer's music would be available on that many streaming networks. Prince pulled his music from all streaming services except for Tidal 9 months before his death. Since his death, Prince's estate has been working on deals with various services to make his music available for streaming again.

The music will go live on streaming services during the Grammys on February 12. The award show will feature a tribute to Prince featuring music artists Rihanna, Bruno Mars and The Weeknd. While the music that will become available on streaming services falls under the late artist's Warner Music contract, the Post says music from his secretive "vault" is also being negotiated.

Article Link: Prince's Music Reportedly Coming to Apple Music February 12

Reactions: DeepIn2U

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
He was fine with Tidal. What he liked, brilliant as he was, was money and artistic control. Hence the whole "slave" dispute with the record labels in the 90s.
But he liked Tidal because it had FLAC. If it was just 256 AAC, I'm sure he would've removed it from there too. He always talks about digital music being lossy, that's not the case with Tidal.

Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I like prince's music but is this a good thing or a bad thing? I see people here saying he doesn't like digital...

Comment

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
But he liked Tidal because it had FLAC. If it was just 256 AAC, I'm sure he would've removed it from there too. He always talks about digital music being lossy, that's not the case with Tidal.
It was really because it was artist own and they were paying him more than the others.

Comment

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
He most likely doesn't, but the estate gets to do what they want with his assets (unless, I guess, his Will specifically stated not to. I don't know how that works so don't quote me on it).

There was no will so the family members can do whatever they want with his assets and they only care about maximizing the amount of money they make off his recordings. It was strange that someone who was so overly protective of his recordings during his lifetime would not leave a will dictating how they would be handled after his death.

Comment

Gwhite1

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015

Prince's catalog of songs is headed to Apple Music and other streaming services, like Spotify, Pandora, Google Play and more, on February 12, reports the New York Post. Currently, Prince's songs are only available to stream on Tidal.

prince-800x399.png

It would be the first time in 19 months the singer's music would be available on that many streaming networks. Prince pulled his music from all streaming services except for Tidal 9 months before his death. Since his death, Prince's estate has been working on deals with various services to make his music available for streaming again.

The music will go live on streaming services during the Grammys on February 12. The award show will feature a tribute to Prince featuring music artists Rihanna, Bruno Mars and The Weeknd. While the music that will become available on streaming services falls under the late artist's Warner Music contract, the Post says music from his secretive "vault" is also being negotiated.

Article Link: Prince's Music Reportedly Coming to Apple Music February 12

RIP Price.

It takes a little bit of crazy to create music so amazing.

Reactions: ohbrilliance
Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not sure he would've wanted this. He hates digital media.
Interestingly the last album he released is available to stream on Apple Music. I'm not sure why as nothing else is.

i believe this streaming deal only applies to his Warner Brothers music. He had 20 years of one off deals with different labels for distribution. Those albums aren't even available on iTunes. And I think some of them have been removed from Tidal too as the estate has a dispute with Tidal.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Rogifan passes out smiling.
Well I already own what's available on iTunes so this won't do much for me. Put everything from 1994-2013 on Apple Music and maybe I will. :)
[doublepost=1485939203][/doublepost]
It was really because it was artist own and they were paying him more than the others.
Yes he complained about the money from Spotify going to record labels not artists. He once went on an epic rant about YouTube too but unfortunately deleted all those tweets. His estate is still pretty ruthless about removing any live footage from YouTube and Facebook.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/...tance-and-why-he-removes-all-concert-footage/

Comment

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Tidal has a fair amount of his music that's not available elsewhere, including physical media. Hopefully this will be streamed by Apple too so that more people can hear these great albums.

Prince was big on personal control. Sadly he is no longer with us, so that control is largely moot. I can't see wider release of his music as-is being a bad thing.

Comment

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I hope The Most Beautiful Girl in the World is going to be available on Apple Music here in the U.K.

Am pretty sure it's his only U.K number one but I've never come across it on any of his albums; digital OR physical.

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I understand that some artists are big about promoting lossy music, but for older artists it seems a bit odd. After all, most of their sales were on vinyl or tapes, which wouldn't have anywhere near the quality or lack of deterioration that you'd get from 256 AAC. So people are getting a much better listening experience now than they would have back then.

The main problem I've found with digital music from re-releases is the loudness war. Losing so much dynamic range that came with the originals is a real shame.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.