Print (AirPrint??) Confused

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 583050, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 583050 Guest

Hi Guys

I want to be able to print the page shown on the iPad. I read about AirPrint but i am not sure how to enable it so print the page.

Is there a guide or tutorial anywhere? As i am struggling to find out how to actually make it happen

Any help will be grateful

Many Thanks!

Jason

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You need a special printer, only a handful work with airpint. If you have one, and your iPad is on the same network, it should not need any special setup. That's the point.

There is a list of compatible printers here.

I recently got the HP PhotoSmart Plus, and it is excellent. Otherwise, there are 3rd party apps to enable wireless printing, some are better than others.

3. SA22C macrumors regular

I'm running an Airprint service right now, and it works as advertised. Any shared printer from my home server shows up as available for use on the iPad.

http://jaxov.com/2010/11/download-airprint-installer-for-windows-7-xp-vista/

That one works well, but the only caveat is that guest access doesn't work for me, so I have to input my administrative credentials on the iPad to enable access to the printer. This only needs to be done once.

4. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

I'm doing the same as SA22C and can print to both my Samsung and Epson printers with no probs.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Don't those methods require a Mac/PC to be on at the time?

As I say, I have the HP Photosmart Plus which required no set up apart from connecting it to my wifi network, then I can print direct to it from iOS devices. It's a good printer too, recommend to anyone who needs a new printer!

6. ohsnap macrumors regular

I use Printopia on my Mac for printing iOS printing services. There are free solutions, but this works the best IMHO. I guess the point is that the OP didn't want to purchase a brand new printer just to be able to print from his iOS devices.

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

A printer from HP with ePrint is the only one that allows native printing from an iOS device. It works as discussed and it great to use!

8. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

+1 I purchased an AirPrint enabled HP Printer and it works great with all of my iOS devices.

9. macrat macrumors regular

I use Printopia as well and it's flawless. I also tried the free apps but didn't like em. Printopia costs $20 but that's way cheaper than buying another printer.

10. SA22C macrumors regular

That clearly isn't true, as evidenced by my post not two entries up. :rolleyes:

Apple's original intent was to allow printing to all shared printers on the same wireless network as the iPad, but they dropped support at the last minute. Regardless, using the install package that I linked to grants any iOS device native printing to any printer on the local WiFi network that has been shared by a PC, Mac or server. The sharing computer must be left on in order to print. Since I have a home server, that isn't an issue.

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Actually I have seen an hp eprint/iprint printer for $50. To me, the ability to print directly to a printer (and do it well) is more than worth it.

12. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

Thanks so much for that. I've been contemplating getting a new printer with wireless and colour capability that will allow direct printing from my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. That's the one I was looking at primarily but couldn't make my mind up whether to spend more money on another printer.

I currently own a Brother black and white laser printer. That code helped justify it and I just placed an order. I ended up getting a £180 printer for just £70. I'm looking forward to being able to print directly from my iOS devices as well as wirelessly from my MacBook Air. :)

14. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I have that Photosmart Premium printer & got one for my mom too. It prints great, I love that I can print to it from my iPhone or iPad (my husband can from his devices as well) & I like that it has an email address. I'm going to freak my mother out one of these days & print something to her printer from 200 miles away :-0.

15. info macrumors member

info

You can also take a look at Print 'n Share and it's bigger brother. You have several options, take your time. Later, you may find that the wireless printing from the iPad is not something that you will be doing as often as you thought.

16. Kellye8498 macrumors newbie

We have the Hp Envy and the printing is rally setup free. I pressed print on a site to print a knitting and crochet pattern and it printed immediately by finding the printer itself and going to town. It even asks if I want to print the pages single or double sided and does that for me. I love my printer and iPad 2 combo LOL!

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

My HP Photosmart Premium printer was delivered yesterday. I set it up yesterday to work with my iPad and iPhone and today wirelessly with my MacBook Air and Mac Mini. So far so good and they all work fine regards printing. The print quality and speed are both good. :)