Print Dialog screwed up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lil' brudder, Nov 14, 2011.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Hey all, hoping you guys can help me out. I have a Mac mini running 10.6.8 that suddenly has a screwed up print dialog. The printer it is printing to is an HP LaserJet 4200 that is connected over the network using LPD. The print dialog instead of having the "print" button on the bottom right simply says "fax" and it is grayed out. Any idea what is wrong or how to fix it? I'm sure it is just a weird setting somewhere, but I don't know where to look at this point. Thanks!

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

What application are you trying to print from? Different applications can have different print dialogs.

3. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Trying to print from Word, but I've noticed that it doesn't matter which application or which printer I try to print to.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Check the Printers 'app' in Settings. You may have somehow chosen to Fax instead of Print. I'm not in front of a Mac right now, but I recall ages ago having to use 'Chooser' to choose between printing and faxing. Perhaps you have something in the Printer panel that is fooling the Mac into thinking it should try to fax to a device not set-up to be a fax machine?

When in doubt, always go to your Settings and check anything that might be related to your issue.

Another thing to check might be Page Setup right before you print. Many times, this gives the same options you might find within Settings.

I wish I could tell you exactly what to look for. Perhaps when I get home.

5. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help, folks. I ended up just deleting all the printers and re-adding them (I didn't initially do this because it was a co-worker's computer). Everything appears to be fine now - thanks for the input!