Resolved Print Driver update broke 2 sided printing function

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doughbouy1, Jun 10, 2018.

1. doughbouy1 macrumors newbie

Had all kinds of problems trying to figure out how to get my 2-sided print function back. Searched all over and found bits and pieces here on MacRumors for other printers but not for my specific printer. Felt I needed to pass the word on how to fix this problem on my printer to others.
    I'm running OS 10.13.4 High Sierra on a iMac and also a Mac Mini. this work-around worked on both. When I installed the latest Airport Extreme router which my Canon MG3122 (MG3100 Series) printer was attached to it forced a driver upgrade for this printer (to CUPS Print Drive Version 16.20.00). This broke my 2 sided printer function (2 sided print choice grayed out). Must have Duplex function turn on and that too was grayed out. This is how I fixed it for this latest driver:
    1. Select: Print under File on top of Mac desktop (Any Web page in safari will do).
    2. Select: Show Details
    3. Open pulldown menu that says "Safari"
    4. Select: Print Features
    5. Scroll down and turn ON duplex Printing function.
    6. Scroll down further to "Duplex" function and from drop down menu select "Duplex - Long Edge"
    7. At top of printer details Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 11.14.21 AM.png page select "Presets" function and "Save Current Settings as preset"
    8. Name the new preset as "Portrait (Duplex) 2-sided" (or some other name that makes sense to you).
    Anytime you need to print 2 -sided select this new preset configuration.
    Done!

2. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

You may be able to set default duplexing off/on in CUPS via the web interface too...features vary by printer.

3. McDigNic macrumors newbie

Thanks this helped, was having problems with my Epson WF-3620, using these instructions I was able to print 2-sided, but as with Preview the second page comes out upside-down! So My solution was to try another browser - Opera, this brings up a PDF format for printing, to do double sided printing, need to scroll down on the right-hand side below 'more options' there is a link to 'Print using system dialogue' from here there is an option on 'Layout' (drop down box) choose 'Two-side printing settings' and turn on two sided printing.

4. tschoeber macrumors newbie

This thread helped me restore the 2-sided printing function for my Epson Artisan 725 printer that was lost when I upgraded my iMac from High Sierra to Mojave. Thank you for taking the time to share it here!

That said, there is one additional setting that I also had to change before I could get two-sided printing to work correctly (at least on my particular printer). As another poster has noted, the above steps got double-sided printing working again but the "back" side was rotated the wrong way.

After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that setting the Duplex Tumble option (which is buried deep in the Printer Features menu) to "DuplexNoTumble" makes double-sided pages print the right way.

5. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Glad folks are finding a work around. It can vary by driver and application.

Often there is a checkbox: Flip Horizontally
    Sometimes there is a option: Short Edge or Long Edge binding

Both of which swap the image 180 degrees on the back of a duplex (two sided) printing.

6. Stephen.R macrumors 6502a

Stephen.R

I found that when the Apple-supplied driver for my Canon was re-installed for Mojave, it was missing some features too. Turns out I had to go to the Canon website to get their driver - the Apple one just doesn't support "print quality" settings for my printer now.

7. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

I have seen that from others too...frustrating that Apple and third party companies cant keep driver versioning sorted out.

8. Stephen.R macrumors 6502a

Stephen.R

Worse still - Apple dropped some really old drivers in High Sierra - but the manufacturers were still instructing users to "go to apple" for drivers. I spoke with some support staff about this a few weeks ago (for my parents - their ~2012 consumer inkjet is still working fine!) and didn't get far, but then not long after, the Mac popped up "do you want to update drivers for this printer" - so maybe they actually restored some of the previously removed ones?

9. farrahm1313 macrumors newbie

farrahm1313

This worked for me!!! I have an Epson Artisan 835 printer. When I updated to High Sierra (current version I'm running is 10.13.6), my printer began printing the back page of a two-sided document upside down even after selecting two-sided printing and long edge binding. I tried selecting 'DuplexNoTumble' function and now my two-sided documents are printing correctly! Thank you so much! And hope this helps anyone else with this frustrating issue!