Print from iPad to network printer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Apr 18, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Besides buying a iPad wireless printer is there any way to print to a network printer?

2. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

3. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Ditto that - it works like a charm! Using this nifty little tool, you are not tied to the newer "e-printers". My iPad prints perfectly to my 3 year old HP.:)

4. Lagranger macrumors member

Yes and No. At present only a handful of new printers on the market natively support the iPad's AirPrint feature (where you are able to use the print function within an app).

As the previous poster mentioned, it is possible to set up a Mac so that it shares an attached printer via AirPrint with your iPad -- the downside is that you still need a host computer running as a print server. You're really doing just host-based printer sharing instead of directly talking to a networked printer.

Finally, there *are* a few printing apps that actually communicate directly with networked printers or external print server appliances. The two downsides of this approach is that the app must have support for your specific printer, and more significantly, you have to do all your printing from within the app itself -- you cannot just hit the Print button in any arbitrary app and expect it to work (I'd happily admit to being wrong about this if anyone has any direct evidence to the contrary).

[Fwiw, I use an app called ePrint to do LPR printing to an external print server attached to ancient HP Laserjet. A bit slow, but it works.]

5. vratnik macrumors newbie

i want to print while my computer is not running. What's the sense of this Handyprint when I anyway need to get up and walk to the computer each time I need to print. I can then just print right from the computer, without installing anything into it.
    So the answer to the original question is NO. You cannot print to any network printer from iPad. Just printers with support of Airprint.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

So pick from a suitable solution: use a printing app, use a print server like the Lantronix or use an AirPrint printer.

The sense is subjective. You can't just assume that your preferences are universal. Plenty find the sense in it whether you do or not. In any case you don't have to get up and walk to your computer each time.

...and all the other solutions mentioned in this and other threads on the topic.