Print from windows Vista computer, from a mac over the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coogie, May 12, 2009.

1. coogie macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I need to print things from my other house. The printer is plugged into a vista PC and the computer is plugged into the internet.

Is it possible to print from a mac over the internet? I could also plug the printer into the router if need be.

It's not an apple router

many thanks for any help

2. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

I can print with my lan

I can use my mac to print over my wireless lan network. I have the printer plugged into the router with a network cord. The router is not from apple either. Of course, I haven't tried doing it over the internet though.

3. coogie thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply

i'm looking to do this from a mac computer to a Pc computer with the printer 50 miles away, so can't do it on LAN

4. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

windows computer to a pc?:confused: ok, mac. that's what i thought you meant.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You could use LogMeIn and print that way. I don't know if it prints to your local printer, or the local (at your other house). But if it's your house, you can try it right?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think some remote access software would be needed, and set up to allow it. But possible. :)

Worth a shot, if you have the time to locate, install, and set everything up. If you're in a jam, take it to Kinko's, or similar location and have it printed in order to make the deadline.

7. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

So, is it possible to access a windows machine from a mac and use it's resources and desktop, etc?

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

I would think so, but I've not tried it with a Mac and PC. The trick will be finding the right software, and you might even need to set it up as a VPN.

But IIRC, Apple's Bonjour Service allowed remote access (used for diagnostics/help desk use by Dell) on their machines at least as far back as 2004.

9. coogie thread starter macrumors newbie

What VPN software would you recommend for Mac to PC?

the simpler the better. Will genuinly use it for 1 minute at a time...

Also $free is good

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not sure which would be best for Mac to PC. My original idea was a little simpler. Just a print server. Fortunately, your printer is attached to the PC, so hopefully it will be rather easy to do, and not need to locate anything. A network printer would be ideal. Otherwise, you'll need to use software.

Take a look at this, and see if it sparks any ideas. ;) Something to start with at least. :)

Hopefully, once you get it set up, you will be able to access via remote, and send the document to the printer. It's the Mac aspect I'm uncertain of as far as the best software, as usually it's built into the OS. Both the mac and pc have it, but I don't know for sure if there's some issue that may come up. (I'm thinking in terms of settings). Certainly worth a look at least. Maybe even attempt it before going with something like VPN. (Free = Linux or ?)