Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ambri23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Hello! I have been trying to figure out how to print in color. My printer seems to have defaulted to grey. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Not sure what printer you have, but you should be able to change the print settings.

On the print page (after you select print from the application and before selecting the print button on the preview/settings page), select the drop down box (it should be defaulted to the application, i.e. if printing from Safari it will say Safari in it), within that box select Printer Features and a new drop down box should appear that will allow you to select color or grayscale. This would allow you to set it for that print. I couldn't tell you at this time how to make that setting stick as the default though. If you have the correct print driver installed this should work for you.

ambri23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
its an HP deskjet 5850. I think I need to get a driver? When I go to print features nothing is there. Do you know how I do that?

Thanks

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
With the printer plugged in an turned on, for good measure, run Software Update. Click on the apple icon in your menu bar and it's located under there.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
You could also try HPs site, to get you in the ballpark (might be an older driver, but should get the features added).

Sometimes Apple doesn't had the driver, so try the manufacturer's support site and download and install manually (usually then the software update can take over from there for future updates, if Apple releases any).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.