print jobs are garbage on window$ shared HP printer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thebum1128, Jun 23, 2008.

1. thebum1128 macrumors newbie

I have followed the directions for connecting to a Window$ shared printers and it worked as far as connecting. But when I send a print job to the printer I get about 15 blank pages then a page of garbage letters. Got any ideas how to make them talk without inserting a Babel fish?

Thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Most likely the Mac thinks the printer runs postscript. I had the same problem on an old HP printer, but it was too old to try to get a postscript prom for it (not to mention that it would cost more than a new printer). I simply bought a new printer. Don't know if there's any way to tell the Mac to do non-postscript.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Is the printer known to work with a Mac OS? Several HPs don't - they will see the printer and correctly identify it, but can't communicate with it. I had a similar problem and simply print to that printer via parallels.

4. mosx macrumors 65816

What? HP is one of the biggest OS X supporters when it comes to their printers, scanners, all-in-ones, and digital cameras.

Have you seen just how large the HP printer driver file is when you install Leopard? It's ridiculous.

If an HP printer doesn't work with OS X it's either ridiculously old or faulty.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

HP color laserjet 1600.
    One year old.
    Go check it out at chez HP. Don't work with no Mac.

(oh, it is a piece of junk, but it's not faulty)

6. mosx macrumors 65816

Heh, so you specifically bought the product that clearly states that it does not support Mac OS X?

Now, whos fault is it for not reading the box?

My HP Officejet 5510v (about 3.5 years old now) and my 2 year old HP Photosmart 475 both work in OS X (Leopard and Tiger) and Vista with no driver discs needed.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Now who's assuming it's a Mac-only environment? (and that it wasn't ungodly cheap - oh, yes, and in this case it turns out you do get what you pay for). Anyone temped by the deals on this bad boy: don't. It has a raft of issues and an equal number of unhappy owners on the hp fora.