Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Im considering buying an iPad for my job. Basically I provide merchants services to business's who wish to accept credit cards. When visiting with a merchant, i can take my bulky laptop and type in manually all of the information for the application. It then spits out a PDF application which I Print from a wireless printer in my car and have the merchant sign it.

Is there anyway to do this from the iPad?

Edit,
Also i should mention the PDF is either downloaded via the browser or i can have it emailed to me.

Miker2k

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Check out printers with HPs eprint technology. Basically it gives your printer an email address that you can send documents to, including PDFs. Requires an Internet connection for the printer which may be awkward in your car.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
There are printing solutions for photo's...I don't think there are for actual PDF documents.

So not true.

I print PDF's from my iPad EVERY day.

YOu can print to a printer visiable to a Wifi network, or to a USB or bluetooth printer connected to a networked computer if printsharing is turned on.

I use Print and Share from http://www.eurosmartz.com/
They have other apps that may better suit your needs.
(there are others developers with similar Apps)

(I keep my PDF's in Air Sharing HD, then send them to Print and Share to print becuase I befre the way it files things, GoodReader, iAnote, Pages and many others will send ("open in") docs to the printing apps.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
YOu can print to a printer visiable to a Wifi network, or to a USB or bluetooth printer connected to a networked computer if printsharing is turned on.
I use Print and Share from http://www.eurosmartz.com/
They have other apps that may better suit your needs.
(there are others developers with similar Apps)
Print n Share is indeed a fantastic app, but just to make a slight correction, it really only prints directly (i.e. wireless printer without a computer on the network) to HP wireless printers. This is because Eurosmartz have built-in the whole of HP's dev kit into the app.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
The HP iPrint Photos app now prints PDF and TXT files, haven't had a chance to test it though, vie printed photos in the past and it works great for that.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
The HP iPrint Photos app now prints PDF and TXT files, haven't had a chance to test it though, vie printed photos in the past and it works great for that.

Downloaded it and it works like a charm. I'm so happy they made it a native iPad app and added wifi printing to HP wifi printers. Only downside is that to be able to scan to the iPad wirelessly, you must have the eAll-in-One printer. The app doesn't allow me to scan using wifi on my officejet J6800 printer.
However, the app has features such as duplex printing (long edge or short edge), paper quality, print ink quality (normal or draft).
Lastly, another downside is that the application must be running the entire time the document is printing... I printed a 47 pg document yesterday and the moment I exited the app (it says also to not press the home key), the printing cancelled.

MacZach2

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
No 3G with HP's iPrint...

...works fine with Wi-fi but can't do 3G. Even the EuroSmartz products (Print n Share, etc.) require you to have a laptop or computer up & running with their WePrint program to do 3G/Edge.

Oh, did i mention that 3G on the iPad is down right glacial with terrible coverage?

Oh yeah....

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
I have a similar need, personalising contracts and getting them signed by clients whilst out and about.

Is the original template a Word doc or PDF? You could try this:

-If a Word doc, fill in the form in Pages and then export as a PDF to your iDisk, or other WebDAV server.
-Navigate to your iDisk/Webdav through a programme such as Goodreader, and open the document into an app such as SignMyIpad.
-Client signs the doc right on your screen and then you email it them and yourself.

If the original template is a PDF, there are a load of note taking apps that allow you to import a PDF as a page template, and you then position text boxes over the bits you need to fill in, and export out as a PDF. Then follow the same steps as above. I don't use these myself, but if you check out the many 'Best note taking app?' threads, you'll find them.

Woukd that sort of solution work for you? It works great for me.... You'd need either a wifi ipad with a mifi, or just go for the 3G version. (I started with wifi+mifi and ended up trading to a 3G for convenience for this workflow particularly.)

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I print shipping labels, PDFs, rent contracts, and more using wireless and e print from the app. store.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I have a similar need, personalising contracts and getting them signed by clients whilst out and about.

Is the original template a Word doc or PDF? You could try this:

-If a Word doc, fill in the form in Pages and then export as a PDF to your iDisk, or other WebDAV server.
-Navigate to your iDisk/Webdav through a programme such as Goodreader, and open the document into an app such as SignMyIpad.
-Client signs the doc right on your screen and then you email it them and yourself.

If the original template is a PDF, there are a load of note taking apps that allow you to import a PDF as a page template, and you then position text boxes over the bits you need to fill in, and export out as a PDF. Then follow the same steps as above. I don't use these myself, but if you check out the many 'Best note taking app?' threads, you'll find them.

Woukd that sort of solution work for you? It works great for me.... You'd need either a wifi ipad with a mifi, or just go for the 3G version. (I started with wifi+mifi and ended up trading to a 3G for convenience for this workflow particularly.)
Just zn FYI, goodreader added markup features this week!!!!

Eta: that hp app rocks, I can read the stuff I just printed!!! I just wish you could specify what pages of a document to print....

karkee

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
cheap printing

A printing press is a device for applying pressure to an inked surface resting upon a print medium (such as paper or cloth), thereby transferring the ink, something not used in earlier methods of printing.We run a very busy ship so the phones are often in full use. Please send an email or leave a message though and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Visit cheap printing to know more about us.
If you have placed an order and have a query regarding it, you can send us a secure message inside your account. Please log into your account here.
If you require a printed product, a quantity not displayed on our website or would like to print something that is out of the ordinary, please submit a special order request, If you have placed an order and have a query regarding it, you can send us a secure message inside your account. Please log into your account here.
If you require a printed product, a quantity not displayed on our website or would like to print something that is out of the ordinary, please submit a special order request, cheap leaflet printing.
Any further questions you may have should be answered on our faq page.
Phone Us On: 0845 634 5048
To contact us via post please send your mail to our Head Office address:

ThePrintingPress.co.uk
2nd Floor
145-157 St John Street
London
EC1V 4PY
United Kingdom
Any further questions you may have should be answered on our faq page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.