Print over airport while receiving internet through ethernet.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brendon Bauer, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

So here is my problem: Originally I had an airport express set up to broadcast a wireless network. I had a printer plugged into the airport express. I also had an ethernet cord going into the airport express. When I was connected to the network, I could surf the internet just fine, and was able to set up the printer just fine as well. I then decided that I was not getting fast enough speeds wirelessly with my b/g airport express network, so I unplugged the ethernet cord from the airport express and connected it directly to my mac. With this setup I was able to surf the internet over ethernet, but even though I was connected to the airport express network I was not able to print. It would always give me errors... I read somewhere about how it looks at one service first or something... so I tried moving Airport to the top of the services in System Preferences, but that just made it so my internet didn't work. How can I print over the airport network and use the internet via ethernet at the same time?

I have a (not new) MacBook Pro 2.4ghz with the latest version of Leopard and all software. My printer is a new Samsung CLP-315 Color Laser Printer.

Thanks!

2. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a clue eh? I want a wireless network for just the printer so it can be secure and shared with just a few friends close by. But I want internet via ethernet for speed purposes as well...

3. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I figured out a solution that will satisfy me for now... just more of a pain. What I found out was that it would print one document every time I restarted the Airport Express. So I could print once, but I'd have to power cycle the airport express before I could print again. After googling around I came across a solution and tried one of the steps to see if it'd work, and it did!

In Print/Fax system preferences pane, click the + to add a printer. Instead of Default, choose IP. Change the protocol to HP Jetdirect - Socket. For the address type in 10.0.1.1:9100 (the default address for the airport express). If your AE has a different IP, change it as needed. It should say you have a "valid and complete address". Now give your printer a name and select the printer driver you would normally use by "Print using:".

I can now print as much as a I want through the wireless network (via airport express) and use internet from ethernet at the same time.

Hope this helps those of you who might have similar problems.