Print over Internet to printer at home

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ancandis, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ancandis macrumors member

Ancandis

Hello,

My printer is at home connected to a Mac mini and I am at work. How do I send a document to my printer at home?

What do I need to set up? I've tried to add my printer using the "IP" in the "Print & Scan" pref panel. Typing my dyndns hostname won't reveal any printers.

Printer sharing is activated as well as "use dynamic global hostname".

Thanks for any hints.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You could set up a VPN to tunnel into your home network - but a simpler solution is to use a service like Cloud Print.

3. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

It depends a bit on which printer you have, and how it is connected to your Internet or computer.

FreakinEurikan had good suggestions.

Something like HP's "e-print" works well. It changes a printer's IP into a custom and unique/anonymous email address that it can use to print with.

You can also use something like logmein to connect to and print from your mini while away. It's easy to setup and use.

You can also email yourself documents for later, or upload things to services like Dropbox if that helps you meet your needs.

Of course, it all depends on what your work will allow you to do, like "listen to the radio at a reasonable volume between 9 and 11".

4. toad77 macrumors member

If your printer is networked, you could try port forwarding port 9100 to the printer's IP address on the LAN.

5. troy14 macrumors 6502a

What make/model printer do you have?

Epsonconnect does it automatically if you have an Epson.

6. Ancandis thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

My printer is a Canon (connected to an airport express, but this shouldn't make a difference).

I'd like to use something like IP printing, so I just need to select the printer sitting at home and press "print".

My current solution is to
    1) log in to my Mac using VNC to
    2) open the document and
    3) print it with my settings (page range, duplex, b/w, etc).
    This works, but it's really cumbersome.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not gonna happen without some 3rd party software. You need to do a VPN (which is complex to set up) or use a service like Cloud Print:

http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/howitworks.html