Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Ancandis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Hello,

My printer is at home connected to a Mac mini and I am at work. How do I send a document to my printer at home?

What do I need to set up? I've tried to add my printer using the "IP" in the "Print & Scan" pref panel. Typing my dyndns hostname won't reveal any printers.

Printer sharing is activated as well as "use dynamic global hostname".

Thanks for any hints.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
It depends a bit on which printer you have, and how it is connected to your Internet or computer.

FreakinEurikan had good suggestions.

Something like HP's "e-print" works well. It changes a printer's IP into a custom and unique/anonymous email address that it can use to print with.

You can also use something like logmein to connect to and print from your mini while away. It's easy to setup and use.

You can also email yourself documents for later, or upload things to services like Dropbox if that helps you meet your needs.

Of course, it all depends on what your work will allow you to do, like "listen to the radio at a reasonable volume between 9 and 11".

Comment

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Hello,

My printer is at home connected to a Mac mini and I am at work. How do I send a document to my printer at home?

What do I need to set up? I've tried to add my printer using the "IP" in the "Print & Scan" pref panel. Typing my dyndns hostname won't reveal any printers.

Printer sharing is activated as well as "use dynamic global hostname".

Thanks for any hints.

What make/model printer do you have?

Epsonconnect does it automatically if you have an Epson.

Comment

Ancandis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

My printer is a Canon (connected to an airport express, but this shouldn't make a difference).

I'd like to use something like IP printing, so I just need to select the printer sitting at home and press "print".

My current solution is to
1) log in to my Mac using VNC to
2) open the document and
3) print it with my settings (page range, duplex, b/w, etc).
This works, but it's really cumbersome.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.