Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surajnangia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Hi...
i have a MBP... wanted to know just as other computers.. windows based all of them have a print screen button on the keyboard... howere my MBP does not... Please could you tell me if there is a way where i could do the same through my mac...

thanks

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
It would depend on what you're wanting to do with the "Print Screen" button.

Are you wanting to take a screenshot? It's much easier using the application called "Grab" (located in Applications folder > Utilities folder > Grab). This program allows you to take a picture of an individual window or the whole screen.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
SHIFT COMMAND 3 - Full Screen Capture

SHIFT COMMAND 4 - Gives you a Cross-hair to select the area.

SHIFT COMMAND 4 then...press SPACEBAR to get a CAMERA ICON to allow you capture that specific Window (if you want a webpage screen capture, you can just place the camera icon over the webpage or a open folder or the menu bar, etc)

the link above has some nice visual tips aswell.

és:

macrumors 6502a
SHIFT COMMAND 3 - Full Screen Capture

SHIFT COMMAND 4 - Gives you a Cross-hair to select the area.

SHIFT COMMAND 4 then...press SPACEBAR to get a CAMERA ICON to allow you capture that specific Window (if you want a webpage screen capture, you can just place the camera icon over the webpage or a open folder or the menu bar, etc)

Exactly. Just to add to that, what you press these buttons they put the imac on your desktop. None of this print screen nonsense where you have to paste it into an application.

Also, you can change the file format (I find it much better to have JPEG instead of PDF or whatever format it is from defult). The way I do this is to use onyx

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Exactly. Just to add to that, what you press these buttons they put the imac on your desktop. None of this print screen nonsense where you have to paste it into an application.

...unless of course you want to capture to the clipboard instead of file, in which case just also press Control along with the Shift-Command-3 or Shift-Command-4, as per the link I posted above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.