Print screen on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CasiLindberg, Nov 23, 2008.

1. CasiLindberg macrumors member

I know how to print screen on a mac, which is cmd, ctrl, shift 4. But once I have taken a print screen, it is not automatically saved onto the desktop, only way which I can view the file is to open word and paste it there. Any help, where I can change these preferences...

This is my first mac, I am tech savy so I basically know how to use it properly already, but I cant find a place to change this.... thanks

2. jonnos macrumors regular

CMD SHIFT 3 = print whole screen and save on desktop

CMD SHIFT 4 = you can specify what part of the screen you want to print screen by making a box around it then it will save onto the desktop

3. CasiLindberg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, the problem I was having is when you also use the ctrl key, it still does the printscreeen but it doesnt save itonto the desktop

4. jonnos macrumors regular

5. jchas macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem, the image is taken but does not appear on the desktop...it used to work for me. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

6. devburke Guest

You can also open up Grab (in the Utilities folder) for more options with screen grabbing

7. drjeykle macrumors newbie

print screen

thank you for your explanation but actually I didn`t understand how it works especially when you hit the f4 button it works as a sound button. and is the `cmd`, the button with the apple sign???

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not F4, it's Command-Shift-4. The number 4 key, not the F4 key.
    Command Key.png
    Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

9. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Another sometimes useful addition…

Command - Shift - 4 - Space

Is also useful if you just need to grab a certain window. The cursor turns to a camera and you then click on the window you want to capture.

Like the others, the control key can also be pressed to copy it to the clipboard instead.

10. bindigok macrumors regular

LOL

You need Onyx, true it's a housekeeping program for Macs. But unless you want to use Terminal or search the system for the settings, it is the only program I've found that gives you detailed preferences for screen shots.

In Onyx, you can specify where (what folder, even create a new folder) your screen shots will go. You can even specify the file format, PNG, TIF, etc. I wish I could find a setting to get a better quality snap, but I just take the file into Photoshop and resample it if I need higher resolution.

But try Onyx, you should have it anyway b/c it's a great program. Click on Parameters and you'll see a crap load of preferences for screen shots and other things.