"Print Selection" How to?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zwhaler, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Whenever I try to print a selection (instead of the entire page, for example, just highlighted text), I cannot find the option in my printer options. I own a HP Deskjet 920C, I would just like to know how this is done because it would be very helpful. Thanks.

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

IMO this is one of OS X's pitfalls. Print selection is an option that is controlled by specific programs and not native to OS X. Firefox can, Word can, etc. What program are you trying to print selection from?

3. wenndann macrumors newbie

solution

hi,
    i had the same problem with my hp photosmart 7960 using firefox. just install this extension and with a rightclick and print you should see "firefox" in your printing options. now you can click "only print selection"
    working fine for me at least.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Are you aware that Firefox has this built in? Highlight what you want printed, then go to File > Print > Firefox > Print Selection Only.

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I use Safari when trying to print stuff. I guess whenever I try to print selection I will just use Firefox. Thanks!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You can use the services add on called Print Selection. I've assigned a key shortcut from within system preference for this.

Haven't tested it on my Intel Mac yet.

7. wenndann macrumors newbie

@ yeah, sure i'm aware of this, typing apple + p is even faster, BUT there must be a bug in the hp software, because the firefox option appears only casually! and i'm apparently not the only one who is experiencing that - just google for hp + printing errors with a mac

now since i have this extension its working always, luckily :)

and thanks for the safari addon link, always good to know!

8. iMichael72 macrumors regular

I've been wondering about this (topic thread) too. Was never brave enough to ask!
    Thanks for this tip. I will try it.

9. caracu macrumors newbie

Print Selection Firefox 3.03 - Tiger 10.4.11 et al

I used to see a Firefox option on my Print menu allowing me to print selected text. Haven´t used it in a long time and now, with this 3.03 version I just noticed it´s not there at all!
    Not even grayed out, just not there. Searches show many problems with this issue across the board.
    I downloaded Print Selection (Service) 1.0, installed it, restarted system and now Firefox appears on the Print Menu (with the option to print selection and a few more options as well.) It is grayed out on the Services Menu, but who cares?!
    Tried it out on Safari and after highlighting text, you can go to the Services menu and Print selection is an option. The selection pops up and you can print it.
    Hope it helps ; it's worth a try :)