Print Selection with one combo keystroke

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonka2, May 27, 2010.

1. tonka2 macrumors member

There are a number of steps to accomplish this. The important thing is you must either use the Spark.app http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark or Quicksilver to enable a shortcut keystroke. I personally use the Spark.app because it is less techy and accomplishes the shortcut easily.

First thing you need do is click the Safari menu, then Services, then Services Preferences. Now, in the window on the right scroll down till you see "Pictures" and just below that "Print Selection" and check this box. This will now appear in your Safari Services menu.

Here is the tricky part: Open Spark, go to the top left dropdown and choose Menu Item, and where it says "Application" in the dropdown choose "Safari.app", then in the dropdown below that keep cursor on Safari, then scroll down the list on the right till you reach "Services" and then scroll to "Print Selection" .

Scroll up and type in the name Print Selection, and in the box above that type in the keyboard shortcut that you will use. Mine is Shift+Option+p, but you can use anything that won't conflict with any of the System shortcuts. Then click the "Create" button and you are done.

I know this sounds very complicated and geeky but it really goes very fast, and best of all, you have a one-stroke key combo that will bring up the print menu with the selection there.

You can do the same with any apps, files, docments, etc., but you have to be in the appropriate item in Spark.

Hope this helps other geeks like me:)

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Could you please unbold all of that.

Second, you don't need Spark or Quicksilver to set a keyboard shortcut for a service. You can add a keyboard shortcut in the same place you enable the service.

Simply double click on the far right of the text and type your shortcut.

3. tonka2 thread starter macrumors member

Print selection

That was something I didn't know, and I'm sure lots of others also don't know. Thank you very much for the lesson, and I will tell others about it. Sorry about the "bold type" as I didn't know it was against forum rules.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It isn't against the rules, just a little tough to read sometimes. Many may have skipped over your post due to bolded text.