Print server as network storage adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I have a D-link DPR-1260 print server that I would like to use to make my USB Hard Drive a NAS device. Does anyone know if I can, and what I would need to do to make it work?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

No, sorry, that won't work. A NAS has software built in that allows it to respond to standard file sharing protocols. A print server won't have that.

3. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I just got an Airport Extreme, now i can hook up my printers, and HD for wireless backups/ data storage. Its awesome.

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I know a print server is not meant for this, but the hardware is there, so I was thinking maybe a firmware or something is out there to make it work

How do you like the Airport Extreme? Is it worth the price? I was looking at maybe that route or even a Time Capsule. Or since I have a decent N router now, Best Buy has a 1 TB Network Server for $220 or something.

But what about a cheap way to make my 500GB external that I already have networkable? It is an internal drive in an Antec enclosure, so I can take it out of that enclosure if I need to. The cheapest way I have found is a $50 Network Enclosure.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss