Resolved Print server attached to Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maavens, Apr 13, 2013.

1. maavens, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

maavens macrumors newbie

I have an old Brother printer (parallel port), which I have been using with my Macs for the past ten years or so through a network print server (TrendNet TE100-P1P).

When I got the print server, I set it up to IP 192.168.1.9, and it has been working fine (on a number of different routers) - until today when I switched my Router to an Airport Extreme.
    I cannot access the print server on this IP address.

I can see that my Mac has received IP address 10.0.1.2.
    I'm no expert in local area networks, but it seems the Airport Extreme uses a different IP range than my previous routers (Linksys and Tilgin).

So how should I go about getting this to work now? Can I set up the Airport Extreme router to use 192.168.1.9 for my printer?

Thanks!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You need to change the DHCP on your AirPort to give IPs in the range of 192.168.1.x

also you want to make sure the AirPort doesn't assign 192.168.1.9 to anything else, so set it up to start at 192.168.1.10

In the AirPort utility, go to Network tab, then click Network Options. Set the IPv4 DHCP range to 192.168, then 1, then 10, then whatever (200 or 60 or however large you want your DHCP range to be)

Attached Files:

3. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! Thanks! It works now :)
    I hadn't tried the "Network options" page.

Is there any reason that the Airport uses the 10.0.x.x range instead of the 192.168.x.x range by default - any advantages to using one over the other?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

No advantage for a home user, either is fine. If you're curious about private subnets just from a "for the sake of knowing" point of view, here's a Wikipedia article that discusses it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

5. maavens thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I see - the main difference is the number of available IP addresses.
    I think we'll be good for now using the 192.168.x.x range :)
    Thanks for the help.